Fetter & Walecka's derivation of second-quantised kinetic term....

In summary: Exactly! The Green's function expansion of this book is my final target! But now I am stuck in the second quantization derivation.This derivation begins basically on p.6, (I also have a copy of Fetter and Walecka), and from what I can tell there are quite a lot of terms in the integral expansion of the product of the wave functions. The ## W ## seems to replace the ## E_k ## in a particular term. Then they sum over the occupation numbers rather than over particles. I don't have a complete answer for you=Fetter and Walecka's book is one of the more difficult books that I have encountered. We used in a couple of
nus_phy
On page 9 of *Quantum theory of many-particle systems* by Alexander L. Fetter and John Dirk Walecka, during the derivation of the second-quantised kinetic term, there is an equality equation below:

>\begin{align}
\sum_{k=1}^{N} \sum_{W} & \langle E_k|T|W\rangle C(E_1, ..., E_{k-1}, W, E_{k+1},...,E_N, t)
\\&=
\sum_{k=1}^{N}\sum_{W}\langle E_k|T|W\rangle\times \bar{C}(n_1, n_2,...,n_{E_k}-1, ..., n_{W}+1,...,n_\infty, t)
\end{align}

Why is the number of particles with quantum numbers nEk decreased by 1 whereas the number of particles with quantum numbers nW increased by 1?

Anybody know how to get this equality?

Physics news on Phys.org
This derivation begins basically on p.6, (I also have a copy of Fetter and Walecka), and from what I can tell there are quite a lot of terms in the integral expansion of the product of the wave functions. The ## W ## seems to replace the ## E_k ## in a particular term. Then they sum over the occupation numbers rather than over particles. I don't have a complete answer for you=Fetter and Walecka's book is one of the more difficult books that I have encountered. We used in a couple of courses in graduate school back in 1978-1980, and it can often take several hours or more to try to work through a couple pages of their derivations. On some pages I was more successful at than others on being able to follow their derivations. I've spent considerable amount of time on the first 250 pages of their 500+ page book=I've studied it at length several times besides the efforts in graduate school, including the section on the Green's function expansions, but I still can't claim much proficiency with it. I think the book contains some very first-rate physics, but working through it is like climbing a mountain.

Charles Link said:
This derivation begins basically on p.6, (I also have a copy of Fetter and Walecka), and from what I can tell there are quite a lot of terms in the integral expansion of the product of the wave functions. The ## W ## seems to replace the ## E_k ## in a particular term. Then they sum over the occupation numbers rather than over particles. I don't have a complete answer for you=Fetter and Walecka's book is one of the more difficult books that I have encountered. We used in a couple of courses in graduate school back in 1978-1980, and it can often take several hours or more to try to work through a couple pages of their derivations. On some pages I was more successful at than others on being able to follow their derivations. I've spent considerable amount of time on the first 250 pages of their 500+ page book=I've studied it at length several times besides the efforts in graduate school, including the section on the Green's function expansions, but I still can't claim much proficiency with it. I think the book contains some very first-rate physics, but working through it is like climbing a mountain.
Exactly! The Green's function expansion of this book is my final target! But now I am stuck in the second quantization derivation.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
It seems that I understand the coefficient on the right-hand side. What we want to do is get the coefficient with particle 1 in a certain state E1, particle 2 in a certain state E2 , ..., particle N in a certain state EN, i.e. C(E1, E2, ..., EN, t), which corresponds to $\bar{C}(n_1, n_2, ..., n_{E_k}, ..., n_W,..., n_{\infty}, t)$. Actually $\bar{C}(n_1, n_2, ..., n_{E_k}, ..., n_W,..., n_{\infty}, t)$ defaults the $k$th particle in state $E_k$, while what really happens on the right-hand side is that the $k$th particle is in state W running over all possible quantum states. So n{Ek-1 in state Ek, nW+1 in state EW

Likes Charles Link
nus_phy said:
It seems that I understand the coefficient on the right-hand side. What we want to do is get the coefficient with particle 1 in a certain state E1, particle 2 in a certain state E2 , ..., particle N in a certain state EN, i.e. C(E1, E2, ..., EN, t), which corresponds to $\bar{C}(n_1, n_2, ..., n_{E_k}, ..., n_W,..., n_{\infty}, t)$. Actually $\bar{C}(n_1, n_2, ..., n_{E_k}, ..., n_W,..., n_{\infty}, t)$ defaults the $k$th particle in state $E_k$, while what really happens on the right-hand side is that the $k$th particle is in state W running over all possible quantum states. So n{Ek-1 in state Ek, nW+1 in state EW
You seem to have at least a good start to following this one along. I spent about 1/2 hour on this the other day, but was unable to verify for myself that the result of Fetter and Walecka was indeed correct. This one would be perhaps a two or three day project to try to verify completely. Much of their textbook is quite similar. It is a book where you typically work your way through it a little at a time. It is like climbing a mountain and even if you get 1/4 of the way up, it is still a very good accomplishment.

Unfortunately I have my copy of Fetter&Walecka at the institute. So I can't look at it. In 2nd quantization of a non-relativistic scalar particle the kinetic energy reads
$$\hat{T}=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p}}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m} \hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}) \hat{a}(\vec{p}),$$
where the annihilation and creation operators are normalized via
$$[\hat{a}(\vec{p}_1),\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}_2)]=(2 \pi)^3 \delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}_1-\vec{p}_2).$$
I do not know, what the notation in the OP means.

vanhees71 said:
Unfortunately I have my copy of Fetter&Walecka at the institute. So I can't look at it. In 2nd quantization of a non-relativistic scalar particle the kinetic energy reads
$$\hat{T}=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p}}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m} \hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}) \hat{a}(\vec{p}),$$
where the annihilation and creation operators are normalized via
$$[\hat{a}(\vec{p}_1),\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{p}_2)]=(2 \pi)^3 \delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}_1-\vec{p}_2).$$
I do not know, what the notation in the OP means.
The form of the kinetic energy operator, where it is basically like a number operator that destroys a state and then creates the same state, makes it somewhat unclear to me how Fetter and Walecka get their result. In general, Fetter and Walecka's results are quite reliable, so I have to believe that this might be one of those that takes a little bit of work to verify.

Charles Link said:
You seem to have at least a good start to following this one along. I spent about 1/2 hour on this the other day, but was unable to verify for myself that the result of Fetter and Walecka was indeed correct. This one would be perhaps a two or three day project to try to verify completely. Much of their textbook is quite similar. It is a book where you typically work your way through it a little at a time. It is like climbing a mountain and even if you get 1/4 of the way up, it is still a very good accomplishment.
Actually, it took me four days to figure it out. You are right. The explanations regarding those equations somehow are not very clearly for me, a novice, which may be easy to understand for higher-leveled guys.

Likes Charles Link
Now I have Fetter&Walecka in front of me. Obviously that's the cumbersome analysis in first quantization using the Schrödinger picture in terms of single-particle wavefunctions, ##\psi_{E_j}(\vec{x})##. At the end that's of course equivalent to the 2nd-quantization formulation supposed that particle number is conserved (which is the case for many non-relativistic problems). This example shows, why you don't want to use the 1st-quantization formulation for the analysis of a many-body system, but you should go through this once since it's very instructive to see why the 2nd-quantization and 1st-quantization formulation are in fact equivalent (as long as particle number is conserved). Despite the merit of being much easier to work with the 2nd-quantization formulation, i.e., the formulation of non-relativistic many-body QFT, it also allows to extend the formalism to cases, where particle numbers are not conserved. This happens in non-relativistic many-body theory when you can treat problems in the quasiparticle picture. In solid-state physics, e.g., a solid can be described as a system of electrons interacting among themselves and with vibrations of the crystal lattice (sound waves), and often this can be formally treated as if the sound-wave modes were Bose particles in terms of annihilation and creation operators in the interaction picture. Then you can develop diagram rules in close analogy to Feynman diagrams in relativsitic QFT. The only thing that changes compared to relativistic are the expressions for the propagators and vertices to their non-relativistic version.

Likes nus_phy and Charles Link

1. What is the significance of "Fetter & Walecka's derivation of second-quantised kinetic term" in quantum mechanics?

Fetter & Walecka's derivation of second-quantised kinetic term is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of many-particle systems in quantum mechanics. It allows us to understand the dynamics of particles in terms of their wave-like properties, rather than their individual positions and momenta.

2. How does "Fetter & Walecka's derivation of second-quantised kinetic term" differ from other approaches in quantum mechanics?

Fetter & Walecka's derivation of second-quantised kinetic term is unique in that it allows for the treatment of many-particle systems, rather than just single particles. It also takes into account the quantum mechanical effects of particles interacting with each other, rather than treating them as independent entities.

3. What are the key assumptions made in "Fetter & Walecka's derivation of second-quantised kinetic term"?

The key assumptions made in Fetter & Walecka's derivation include the use of second quantization, where particles are described in terms of creation and annihilation operators, and the assumption that the potential energy of the system is well-defined and does not vary significantly over time.

4. How is "Fetter & Walecka's derivation of second-quantised kinetic term" used in practical applications?

Fetter & Walecka's derivation is used extensively in condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and other fields where many-particle systems are present. It allows for the calculation of properties such as energy levels, scattering cross sections, and collective behavior of particles in these systems.

5. What are some limitations of "Fetter & Walecka's derivation of second-quantised kinetic term"?

While Fetter & Walecka's derivation is a powerful tool in understanding many-particle systems, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the particles in the system are indistinguishable and that they interact through simple potentials. It also does not take into account relativistic effects, making it less useful in high-energy physics applications.