Lorentz transforming a momentum eigenstate

In summary, Weinberg discusses the construction of an unitary operator, denoted as ##U(\Lambda)##, which can be used to find eigenstates of momentum. He also introduces the concept of a little group, which helps to classify momentum eigenstates into three different physical classes. Weinberg explains how to obtain a ##2j+1## dimensional irreducible representation from the generators of angular momentum operators, but does not explicitly connect it to the representation of the Wigner rotation ##W = L^{-1}(\Lambda p) \Lambda L(p)## in ##2j+1## dimensions.
terra
Let's take a quantum state ##\Psi_p##, which is an eigenstate of momentum, i.e. ##\hat{P}^{\mu} \Psi_p = p^{\mu} \Psi_p##.
Now, Weinberg states that if ##L(p')^{\mu}\,_{\nu}\, p^{\nu} = p'##, then ##\Psi_{p'} = N(p') U(L(p')) \Psi_{p}##, where ##N(p')## is a normalisation constant. How to construct an unitary operator like that, or how to even see that such an operator is to be found?

Some thoughts.
I define ## \Lambda^{\mu}\,_{\nu} \, k^{\mu} = p^{\mu}##. Component by component:
\begin{align*}
\Lambda_{00} &= \gamma \\
\Lambda_{0i} = \Lambda_{i0} &= \gamma \beta_i \\
\Lambda_{ij} = \Lambda_{ji} &= (\gamma - 1) \frac{\beta_i \beta_j }{ \beta^2 } + \delta_{ij}.
\end{align*}
Now let's try ##U(\Lambda) \Psi_{k,\sigma} := \sum_{\rho} D^{(j)}\,_{\rho,\sigma}\,(\Lambda) \Psi_{k, \rho}##, where ##D(\Lambda)## is Wigner's D-matrix, which gets different representations depending on the range of the state's quantum numbers ##\sigma##: ##\sigma = j, j-1, ..., -j+1, -j##, altogether ##2j+1## possible values.

If we take ##\Psi_{k,\sigma}## to be a scalar particle for which ##\sigma = j = 0##, ##D^{(0)}\,_{0,0}\,(\Lambda) = 1## so that ##\Psi_{p,0} = N(p) \Psi_{k,0}##. In Dirac's notation, ##\Psi_{k} = | \boldsymbol{k} \rangle = \int d^3 \boldsymbol{x} \, | \boldsymbol{x} \rangle \langle \boldsymbol{x} | \boldsymbol{k} \rangle = \int d^3 \boldsymbol{x} \, | \boldsymbol{x} \rangle e^{-i \boldsymbol{k} \cdot \boldsymbol{x}}##, and ## \Psi_p = N(p) \Psi_k = \int d^3 \boldsymbol{x} \, | \boldsymbol{x} \rangle N(p) e^{-i \boldsymbol{k} \cdot \boldsymbol{x}}##. For these to be equal, I could choose ## N(p) = \int d^3 \boldsymbol{q} \, e^{-i \boldsymbol{p} \cdot \boldsymbol{q} + i \boldsymbol{k} \cdot \boldsymbol{q}}##, so that
\begin{align*}
N(p) \Psi_{k} &= \int d^3\boldsymbol{q} \, \int d^3\boldsymbol{x} \, e^{-i \boldsymbol{p} \cdot \boldsymbol{q} + i \boldsymbol{k} \cdot \boldsymbol{q} - i \boldsymbol{k} \cdot \boldsymbol{x}} |\boldsymbol{x} \rangle \\
&= \int d^3\boldsymbol{x} \, \delta^{(3)}(\boldsymbol{p} - \boldsymbol{q}) e^{-i \boldsymbol{k} \cdot \boldsymbol{x}} |\boldsymbol{x} \rangle \\
&= \int d^3\boldsymbol{x} \, e^{-i \boldsymbol{p} \cdot \boldsymbol{x}} |\boldsymbol{x} \rangle \\
&= \Psi_{p,0}
\end{align*}
However, this choice for ##N(p)## also depends on ##\boldsymbol{k}##...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##U(\Lambda) \Psi_{k,\sigma} := \sum_{\rho} D^{(j)}\,_{\rho,\sigma}\,(\Lambda) \Psi_{k, \rho}##,
this line is not correct, unless you assume that
## \Lambda^{\mu}\,_{\nu} \, k^{\mu} = k^{\mu}##,
so the result is
##\Psi_{k,0} = N(p) \Psi_{k,0}##.
and ##N(p)=1##
actually N(p) is just a constant to fix the different normalization conventions between states, and it isn't so important here.

the logic here is: if you assume the physical states have a lorentz symmetry, there must be a representation on the hilbert space.

if you want to construct the explict form of ##U(\Lambda)##,you can refer to 2.4 of weinberg's book.

Last edited:
That's right, sorry, I was sloppy adding that.
Weinberg shows that
$$ U(\Lambda) \Psi_{p,\sigma} = \sum_{\rho} D^{(j)}_{\rho \sigma}(W(\Lambda,p)) \Psi_{\Lambda p, \rho} $$
where ##W(\Lambda,p)## is such that ##W^{\mu}_{\nu} k^{\nu} = k^{\mu}## so such transformations form a little group for every 'class' of momentum eigenstates. Division to 'classes' is obtained by noticing which quantities stay invariant under every proper orthocronous Lorentz transformation. Three physical 'classes' are obtained: the vacuum for which ##p^2 = 0, p^0=0##, a massless particle for which ##p^2 = 0, p^0 > 0## and a massive particle ##p^2 < 0, p^0 > 0##.
Weinberg then goes on to explaining how to obtain a ##2j+1## dimensional irreducible representation from the generators: angular momentum operators. On the other hand he gives a possible decomposition of Wigner rotation ##W## into boosts and rotations that operate on four-vectors. But he doesn't seem to connect these two types of objects, ##W## and ##D(W)##. That is, how to obtain a representation for ##W = L^{-1}(\Lambda p) \Lambda L(p)## in ##2j+1## dimensions?

Actually, as for massive particles ##W## is a spatial rotation, I should indeed be able to construct a representation for the rotations. But, I will not know how will it be related to boosts performed on four vectors. That is, I know ##D(\alpha, \beta, \gamma)## and a way to write ##W(\Lambda,p)## but not ##D(W(\Lambda, p))##.

Last edited:

1. What is Lorentz transformation of a momentum eigenstate?

Lorentz transformation is a mathematical operation that relates the coordinates of an event in one frame of reference to another frame of reference moving at a constant velocity. When applied to a momentum eigenstate, it describes how the momentum of a particle appears to change when observed from different inertial frames.

2. Why is Lorentz transformation necessary for momentum eigenstates?

Since momentum is a relativistic quantity, it is affected by the observer's frame of reference. Therefore, to accurately describe the momentum of a particle, it is necessary to use Lorentz transformation to account for the differences in momentum measurements from different frames of reference.

3. How is Lorentz transformation of a momentum eigenstate calculated?

Lorentz transformation of a momentum eigenstate can be calculated using a set of equations known as the Lorentz transformation equations. These equations involve the velocity of the particle, the speed of light, and the angle between the direction of motion and the observer's frame of reference.

4. What is the significance of Lorentz transformation in modern physics?

Lorentz transformation is a fundamental concept in modern physics, particularly in the theory of relativity. It is used to describe the behavior of particles at high speeds, and it has important implications for concepts such as time dilation, length contraction, and the concept of simultaneity.

5. Can Lorentz transformation be applied to any type of momentum eigenstate?

Yes, Lorentz transformation is a general mathematical operation that can be applied to any type of momentum eigenstate, including particles with mass and photons with zero mass. It is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity and is applicable to all types of particles and their interactions.