Few questions different topics

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topics
In summary, the constants p,q, and r for the equation 2y^2 - 9y + 14 = p(y-1)(y-2) + q(y-1) + r are p=2, q=-3, and r=15. For the second part, the expression (y+1)^4 - y^4 < 4(y+1)^3 can be simplified by expanding and canceling out large powers of y.
lionely

Homework Statement

Find the constants p,q and r such that
2y2 - 9y+14 = p(y-1)(y-2)+q(y-1) +r

2) Deduce that (y+1)4 - y^4 < 4(y+1)^3

The attempt at a solution

Well I expanded the right side

and just tried comparing the two equations..

so I got p =2 ,r =10, q=-3

is this the correct way of doing this?

2) (y+1)4 - y^4 - 4(y+1)^3<0

I did this first, now I don't know where to carry it.

Physics news on Phys.org
p and q are correct but r is wrong.

Are you really supposed to use these values for p q and r to deduce the second part? Because I don't see the connection at all

NO the 2nd part of the question is a totally different question ,sorry. is r 14?

No it's not 14 either. Why don't you write out how you solved for r and we can pinpoint the mistake being made.

For the second part once you've gotten to that point I recommend expanding everything and canceling a lot of large powers of y

I expanded the expression and got py^2 - 3py -12p + qy -q +r

so I just compared it to the equation stated and said p is =2 because there's also a two on the y^2 in the first equation. Then I said since p = 2 the -3py is now -6y and in the equation there was a -9y so q needs to be -3 to get a -3y. the r ,-12p and the -q need to add up to the 14 so is r 35?

Last edited:
That should be a +2p not a -12p

ohh I see it, so r should be 15?!

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems in a scientific way. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

2. What are the basic principles of biology?

The basic principles of biology include cell theory, evolution, genetics, homeostasis, and energy flow. Cell theory states that all living things are composed of cells, evolution explains how species change over time, genetics studies how traits are inherited, homeostasis is the ability to maintain a stable internal environment, and energy flow is the process of obtaining and using energy.

3. How does climate change affect the environment?

Climate change, also known as global warming, affects the environment in various ways. It can cause rising sea levels, more frequent extreme weather events, changes in precipitation patterns, and loss of biodiversity. It also has negative impacts on human health and can disrupt ecosystems and food webs.

4. What is the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about a phenomenon that can be tested through experimentation. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a natural phenomenon based on extensive evidence and numerous experiments. While a hypothesis can be proven or disproven, a theory is generally considered to be true.

5. How does the human brain process information?

The human brain processes information through a complex network of neurons and synapses. Sensory information is received through the sensory organs and is then sent to the brain for processing. The brain interprets this information, stores it in memory, and uses it to make decisions and control bodily functions. Different regions of the brain are responsible for different functions, such as language, memory, and movement.