Feynman diagram of K0 transmutation

In summary, the homework statement is asking for a diagram of the transmutation of a K0 particle (one anti-strange quark and one down quark) into its anti-particle (one strange quark and one anti-down quark). The attempt at a solution is that the strangeness and bottomness of the meson become reversed, while total charge, mass and spin remain the same.
Gulli

Homework Statement

I need to find the Feynman diagram of the transmutation of a K0 particle (one anti-strange quark and one down quark) into its anti-particle (one strange quark and one anti-down quark).

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

s- has a charge of +1/3, d has a charge of -1/3, so together they are neutral and they both have spin 1/2, so maybe they could annihilate into a gluon (0 charge, spin 1) which could then decay into an s and d- , so maybe it's just:
Feynman.jpg

Although maybe an interaction involving the quarks changing flavour via Z0 particles (s- into d- and d into s) is also possible...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
strangeness is conserved in the strong interaction but broken by the weak

sgd37 said:
strangeness is conserved in the strong interaction but broken by the weak

So the interaction involving Z0 particles is impossible, while an interaction involving gluons is possible. Can you tell me if the diagram I drew is correct?

the other way round since the s quark has strangeness -1 and the sbar has strangeness 1 so in the interaction you have strangeness is not conserved so the gluon interaction is not possible

sgd37 said:
the other way round since the s quark has strangeness -1 and the sbar has strangeness 1 so in the interaction you have strangeness is not conserved so the gluon interaction is not possible

Oh yeah, strangeness is inverted for the anti-particle, so then I have to use a Z0 instead of a gluon in my diagram?

The Z doesn't change the flavor of quarks. The only vertex that does involves the W.

Hint: The diagram won't be a simple one where the two incoming quarks simply exchange a W. It's a bit more complicated.

Do they have to change flavour to change into their own anti-particles?

Of course. The [itex]K_0[/itex] and [itex]\bar{K}_0[/itex] aren't made up of the same flavors of quarks, so the flavors have to change when the neutral kaon turns into its antiparticle.

vela said:
Of course. The [itex]K_0[/itex] and [itex]\bar{K}_0[/itex] aren't made up of the same flavors of quarks, so the flavors have to change when the neutral kaon turns into its antiparticle.

Well, all I know is that the strangeness and bottomness of the meson become reversed, while total charge, mass and spin remain the same. The thing is this excercise comes from an undergraduate course that didn't delve into feynman diagrams too deep, so I probably don't need a lot of vertices.

What is a Feynman diagram of K0 transmutation?

A Feynman diagram of K0 transmutation is a graphical representation of the interactions between subatomic particles involved in the process of a K0 particle decaying into other particles. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman to help visualize the complex math involved in quantum field theory.

How is a Feynman diagram of K0 transmutation drawn?

A Feynman diagram of K0 transmutation is drawn using a set of standardized symbols and conventions. The particles involved are represented by lines that connect at points of interaction, and the direction of the lines represents the flow of time. The interactions between the particles are represented by vertices where the lines meet.

What is the purpose of a Feynman diagram of K0 transmutation?

The purpose of a Feynman diagram of K0 transmutation is to help visualize and calculate the probabilities of various particle interactions. It allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of subatomic particles in a visual and intuitive way.

How does a Feynman diagram of K0 transmutation relate to quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, particles are described as excitations of fields that permeate all of space. A Feynman diagram of K0 transmutation represents the interactions between these fields and their corresponding particles, providing a visual representation of the mathematical equations used in the theory.

Are Feynman diagrams of K0 transmutation still used in modern physics?

Yes, Feynman diagrams of K0 transmutation are still used in modern physics, particularly in the field of quantum electrodynamics. They have also been extended to describe interactions between other types of particles, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces, making them a valuable tool in understanding the fundamental processes of the universe.