Feynman Diagram Help: Decay of ∆+ to n + π+

In summary, the ∆+ → n + π+ decay can be represented by two Feynman diagrams, one involving the strong force and the other involving the weak force. However, the strong force is the dominant interaction in this decay, making it a strong decay.
12x4

Homework Statement

:[/B]

For the decay of the ∆+ → n + π+, sketch an appropriate quark-level Feynman diagram.

State which interaction is responsible for this decay.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

This is more of a question to see if I'm doing it right more than anything. The first Feynman diagram is one where the strong force is responsible for the decay. The second one is one where the weak force is responsible, I'm not to sure if I'm allowed to do it both ways but if am how can I tell which one to use?
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are allowed, but which do you think dominates?

Likes 12x4
strong force? Its a much stronger reaction.

Yes, and so we call it a strong decay.

Likes 12x4

What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a graphical representation of particle interactions in quantum field theory. It shows the possible paths a particle can take during an interaction, including the exchange of virtual particles.

How does a Feynman diagram help with understanding particle decay?

A Feynman diagram can help visualize and calculate the probability of particle decays by showing the possible interactions and exchanges of particles involved in the process.

Can Feynman diagrams be used to predict the outcome of a particle decay?

Yes, Feynman diagrams can be used to calculate the probability of different outcomes for a particle decay. However, they cannot predict the exact outcome as it is ultimately determined by chance.

What is the significance of the ∆+ particle in the decay process?

The ∆+ particle is a baryon, meaning it is composed of three quarks. Its decay into a neutron and a pion is important in understanding the strong nuclear force and the interactions between quarks.

How are Feynman diagrams used in other areas of physics?

Feynman diagrams are not only used in particle physics, but also in other areas such as quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics. They can also be applied to processes such as scattering and annihilation.