Feynman integral over histories= over paths?

In summary, the Feynman integral over histories or paths is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle's motion. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take, rather than just the classical path. This integral allows for the calculation of quantum mechanical amplitudes, which are used to predict the behavior of particles in quantum systems. It is a powerful tool that has revolutionized our understanding of the quantum world.
nomadreid
Gold Member
In computing the integral over past histories, does one restrict oneself to continuous paths, or does one take all possible combinations of points between the beginning and the end? If one sticks to the continuous paths, what justification is there in that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Continuous, perhaps even with some conditions on derivatives that should exist almost everywhere. See for instance Albeverio and Hogh-Krohn, "Mathematical Theory of Feynman Path Integrals".

Thank you, arkajad, for the answer and the recommendation.

Since I presently do not have access to a scientific library, and the book does not seem to be easily downloadable, and rather expensive to order, I cannot follow up on your book recommendation. If you have any recommendations from the Internet, I would be happy to follow them up.

For a starter you can check this: http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Path_integral" , but there are several different approaches. The class of admissible paths depends on what you want to integrate. For instance you will find a sentence like this:

"This has the effect of restricting the integration to paths that satisfy a Hölder condition of order 3/2 and are thus differentiable, in such a way that expectations values with dq/dt are defined."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, arkajad. Upon a first reading the link appears quite useful, and I shall be working through it.

arkajad said:
For a starter you can check this: http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Path_integral" , but there are several different approaches. The class of admissible paths depends on what you want to integrate. For instance you will find a sentence like this:

"This has the effect of restricting the integration to paths that satisfy a Hölder condition of order 3/2 and are thus differentiable, in such a way that expectations values with dq/dt are defined."

there is no reason paths have to be differentiable. in fact the stochastic approach to QM gives inherently non-differentiable paths.

a path which is not continuous would mean a particle that starts at some point and disappears into the vacuum an then reappears and then makes it out to some final endpoint.

the book Path Integral Methods in QFT by Rivers explains this stuff. it is easily downloadable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the lucid account, lucid. The idea of making histories continuous by definition is an interesting idea,although I need to do some more reading to understand how the infinite number of allowable quantum discontinuities in a path are factored into the final integral. As far as that book being easily downloadable, I suppose if I sign up for a paid downloading site such as usenet or give one of these "14-day trials" my credit card number (something I am loathe to do), I might be able to download it, but I could not find any easy downloading otherwise.

1. What is the Feynman integral over histories/paths?

The Feynman integral over histories, also known as the path integral, is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one position to another in a given amount of time. It takes into account all possible paths that the particle could take, rather than just considering the most likely path.

2. How is the Feynman integral over histories/paths calculated?

The Feynman integral is calculated by summing up the contributions from all possible paths that a particle could take, each weighted by a complex phase factor. This involves breaking the time interval into small segments and considering all possible positions that the particle could occupy at each segment.

3. What is the significance of the Feynman integral over histories/paths?

The Feynman integral provides a way to express the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and uncertainty, in a mathematical form. It also allows for the calculation of amplitudes and probabilities of quantum processes, making it a powerful tool in theoretical physics.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Feynman integral over histories/paths?

While the Feynman integral is a useful tool, it does have limitations. It is difficult to calculate for systems with more than a few particles, and it becomes increasingly complex for systems with interactions between particles. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of gravity.

5. How has the Feynman integral over histories/paths been applied in scientific research?

The Feynman integral has been applied in a wide range of fields, including quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It has also been used to develop new theories, such as the sum-over-histories approach to quantum gravity. It continues to be an essential tool in theoretical physics research.