Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum over histories and double slit?

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1
    I was recently studying Feynman's sum-over-histories approach to quantum probability. I also was reading an interesting paper on the double slit experiment. How do these two work together. Do some of the probability waves not have a out of phase partner to interfere with itself?

On a related not, whats the difference between the proxy wave, and Feynman's probability waves.

If the proxy wave is fictitious, how do atoms resist other atoms passing through it.

I know this is a lengthy question but please try to answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The easiest way to do the "sum over histories" for the 2 slit experiment, is to take the classical paths (2 of them) and just simply add up e^iS/h for the 2 different paths to get an amplitude. The probability is of course the absolute square of the amplitude. There is of course a normalizing factor, but that can be sometimes annoying to get, and I can't remember the details of that for the 2-slit experiment at this moment.

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3
    And that value (absolute square of the amplitude) would be the probability of the electron going through both slits?

5. Apr 21, 2012 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, the probability that the electron arrives at that spot in the detector. There is no probability for the electron "going through both slits".

6. Apr 21, 2012 #5
    This still applies in the case of an interference pattern when only one electron is fired.

7. Apr 21, 2012 #6

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes it does. You sum over both paths, but that doesn't mean the electron physically moves through both slits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook