Feynman Lectures millenium Edition questions.

In summary, the reprint of the 2011 edition corrects errors in the original printing. However, when you purchase the book online, you may not be getting the corrected edition.
MidgetDwarf
Looking to buy a copy of the Feynman lectures and the millenium edition is the one I am going to buy. I remember reading, maybe I am mistaken, that there was reprint of the 2011 millenium edition. If I am correct, this reprint fixed errors that were found in the 2011 editipn. However, when I tried to Google my question I found no answer. I even checked amazon to see if a newer reprint was available.

Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I did more research, this versions has errors that were corrected with a reprint. Unfortunately, amazon or any other online Dealer I have found has the edition with the erros. Any clues to were I can get the reprint?

Hello, all.

When Basic Books makes a printing of FLP, they (usually) ask us (the editors and owners of the manuscript) for updated copy with the latest corrections. To date there have been 5 printings of FLP Vols. II and III and 6 printings of Vol. I. The next printings of all three volumes in both hardback and paperback will take place in early June this year, and will include corrections for all the "Newly Found Errata" and (new)"Typos" listed at http://www.feynmanlectures.info/flp_errata.html. Unfortunately, however, when you order the books online, the sellers don't know what printing they are selling you, so there is no way of ordering a particular printing online.

The most current up-to-date version of FLP is the free-to-read online edition at www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu. Corrections are made there immediately when errors are found, whereas they only appear periodically in the printed books. If you are reading a printed edition of FLP and see something suspicious in it, you can always check the online edition to see if it was an error that we corrected (and if not, you can write to me about it, and if it really is an error we will correct it).

In closing I'd like to mention that we are currently working on high-quality Kindle, iBooks and ePub editions of FLP, which, of course, will include all the latest corrections when we publish them; those are scheduled for release sometime this summer. These ebook editions are based on the online edition, and like it feature seamless integration of mathematics and text, and equations and figures that scale without degradation. I don't hesitate to claim that they will be the best-looking math/physics ebooks ever published.

Mike Gottlieb
Editor, The Feynman Lectures on Physics New Millennium Edition
www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu
www.feynmanlectures.info

Likes artyb, RaulTheUCSCSlug and Intrastellar
Thank you very much for responding. Is there a way I can directly purchase a copy from you're company when the new revision is out? Or all sales are done by a third party?

MidgetDwarf said:
Is there a way I can directly purchase a copy from you're company when the new revision is out? Or all sales are done by a third party?

Reproduction and distribution rights for FLP are licensed exclusively to Basic Books. They sell their books to distributors and big dealers, who sell them to the general public. They also license books for foreign translations, etc. We (the copyright holders) do not (and can not) sell the books ourselves.

1. What is the Feynman Lectures millennium Edition?

The Feynman Lectures millennium Edition is a set of three books written by physicist Richard Feynman, originally published in the 1960s. The millennium edition was published in 1999 to celebrate the millennium and includes corrections and updates to the original text.

2. What topics are covered in the Feynman Lectures millennium Edition?

The Feynman Lectures cover a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. They also touch on other areas such as mathematics and the philosophy of science.

3. Are the Feynman Lectures suitable for beginners?

The Feynman Lectures are written for students with a strong background in mathematics and physics. They are not recommended for beginners, but can be a valuable resource for those with a more advanced understanding of the subject.

4. Can the Feynman Lectures be used as a textbook for a course?

While the Feynman Lectures are a comprehensive and highly regarded resource, they are not typically used as a textbook for a course. They are better suited for self-study or as a supplement to a traditional textbook.

5. How have the Feynman Lectures influenced the field of physics?

The Feynman Lectures are considered a classic in the field of physics and have greatly influenced the way the subject is taught and understood. They are known for their clear and engaging writing style, as well as their ability to simplify complex concepts and make them accessible to students.