Feynman propagator for Klein Gordon field in light and matter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
naima
Gold Member
Messages
936
Reaction score
54
Could anyone derive an assertion found in "light and matter, a strange theory"?

Feynman writes in his book that the propagator
of the Klein Gordon photon is proportional to
1/(r2 - t2)
Have you ever read the proof?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I found this
http://www.oberlin.edu/physics/dstyer/StrangeQM/Klein-Gordon.pdf"
Where (12) is what I'd like to get.
I do not understand how I can evaluate it using eq (30).
 
Last edited by a moderator:


The form follows from dimensional analysis and relativistic invariance. The main thing that requires some work to figure out is the pole structure i.e. what happens when [tex]r \rightarrow t[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = \int \frac{d^4 p}{(2\pi)^4} \frac{e^{i p x}}{p^2}[/tex] is the integral you want to compute (I have used relativistic notation). By scaling [tex]x \rightarrow \lambda x[/tex] and using spacetime rotational invariance you should be able to deduce the required form.

Hope this helps.
 


Thanks

Have I to use Wick rotation to get the result?
 


Physics Monkey said:
By scaling [tex]x \rightarrow \lambda x[/tex] and using spacetime rotational invariance you should be able to deduce the required form.
Hope this helps.

Thank you very much, Physics Monkey.
This is exactly what I had missed!