Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FFT, Mathematica, Continuous Fourier Transform

1. May 14, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

First a warning: my Mathematica skills, and computery-type skills in general, are not very hot. My problem is thus: I have a function which I know:

[tex] \hat{f}(k) [/tex]

I'd like mathematica to approximate the inverse fourier transform of this function for me and plot the result. I've tried using the built-in function "NInverseFourierTransform", but it fails to produce meaningful results. My function oscillates quite rapidly, so NIntegrate doesn't work too well.

Now I'm aware that I could approximate the inverse Fourier transform using a discrete Fourier transform and the FFT algorithm - but I'm afraid I don't really know how to go about doing it. I can do the following:

• Get as many sample points of [tex]\hat{f}(k)[/tex] as you want. Call them [tex]\{\hat{f}_n\}[/tex].
    • I can make [tex]\hat{f}[/tex] rapidly decreasing, so it's pretty much got compact support.
    • My [tex]\hat{f}[/tex] is smooth.
    I figure if I've got the above properties, there must be some way of approximating the inverse Fourier transform using the built in FFT functions in mathematica. I've tried using InverseFourier
    • , where list contains the [tex]\hat{f}_n[/tex], and plotting the real part of it, but the answer is gibberish. I've proved lots of rigorous results regarding the function [tex]f[/tex], so I know (pretty much) what the plot of the inverse Fourier transform should look like!

If anyone could help me implement the built in mathematica functions to get a plot of this inverse Fourier transform, I'd be immensely grateful.

Thanks,
      Ant

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2
    All sorted now - I rolled up my sleeves and got stuck into mathematica.

4. Oct 29, 2010 #3
    i don't understand how fft algorithm works.
    but i have to solve the problem by Mathematica code which i have attached.
    can anybody help me to solve this function.
    it will be if any explain by a simple function.

thanks,
    Happy

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook