Fiber Optics Qs: Mini-DIO, Fusion, Fanout Cable

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of Mini-DIOs and fiber optics in a project with multiple switchboards and motors. It is suggested that Mini-DIOs are needed to connect the fiber cord to optical receivers, and there are questions about the use of fusion and fanout cables. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using 1mm fiber and connectors for simple light transport. Further information and resources can be found online, including data sheets and application notes.
F.ono
I am working in a project that contain several switchboards that will receive an optical fiber from encoders of the motors that they feed (through an optical transmitter).
It appears that to do this we will need Mini-DIOs to connect this fiber cord to optical receivers, which in turn will be connected to each drive that controls the motors.
I know just a little about this subject (fiber optics), because I usually only work with the power system. So I have some questions (probably stupid questions):

1) I’ve heard that we will need Mini-DIOs because the fiber won’t come connectorized. What does that mean exactly?

2) Does de Mini-DIO itself perform the fusion of the fibers? Or do we need a fiber splicer?

3) What is a fanout cable? When should it be used? Will I use it here?

Att,

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is a Mini-DIO in fiber optics?

A Mini-DIO (Miniature Duplex Inline Optic) is a small form factor fiber optic connector that is commonly used in telecommunications and data transmission networks. It is smaller than traditional connectors and has a higher density, allowing for more connections in a smaller space.

What is fusion in fiber optics?

Fusion in fiber optics refers to the process of joining two fiber optic cables together using heat to melt and fuse the glass fibers. This creates a continuous path for the transmission of light signals between the two cables.

What is a fanout cable in fiber optics?

A fanout cable in fiber optics is a type of cable that has multiple individual fibers bundled together in a single jacket. This allows for the separation of fibers to be used for different connections or applications.

What are the advantages of using Mini-DIO connectors?

Mini-DIO connectors offer several advantages, including smaller size, higher density, and lower insertion loss. They also have a snap-lock mechanism for easy installation and removal, and are more resistant to dust and dirt.

What is the purpose of using fusion splicing in fiber optics?

Fusion splicing is used in fiber optics to create a permanent, low-loss connection between two fiber optic cables. It is commonly used in long-distance fiber optic networks to ensure efficient and reliable transmission of signals.