Fibula and tibia fracture while dancing - recovery timeline and arthritis concern

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Freeman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Break
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 19K views
Greg Freeman said:
I had to google that to know what it was, ouch, yeah I hope you don't have to go through that!

go through that?-----actually, I've been asking them to do it
 
Biology news on Phys.org
rewebster said:
go through that?-----actually, I've been asking them to do it

Well then, in that case, best of wishes. Anything related to the back does not sound like fun.
 
Greg Freeman said:
I'm really mad now. Went for a checkup and I have to have another surgery.

I went to a second doctor and he said that the way I was screwed together should have been done differently, and a separate, longer screw should have been placed through both the tibia and fibula to keep them aligned. My joint has shifted a bit because it wasn't properly held together.

I can't believe in this day and age that something like this can't be done right the first time, when it costs 10's of thousands of dollars, makes me sick.

Evo said:
That's terrible, but not surprising. I'm going to have to get my arm re-broken and reset because the orthopedic surgeon I went to when I broke my elbow guessed wrong.


Sorry to hear that for both of you. :frown:
 
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! So sorry to hear that. I broke my elbow just a few days before Christmas '07. The worst part was watching my wife do all the Christmas work alone. My break was minor... never even had a cast but I still don't have full mobility and it still hurts every day. Nothing like what I imagine you both are going through though.
Very impressive X-ray, Greg. You should put that image on a card and present it to TSA if you are stopped after the cast comes off.
 
chemisttree said:
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! So sorry to hear that. I broke my elbow just a few days before Christmas '07. The worst part was watching my wife do all the Christmas work alone. My break was minor... never even had a cast but I still don't have full mobility and it still hurts every day. Nothing like what I imagine you both are going through though.
Very impressive X-ray, Greg. You should put that image on a card and present it to TSA if you are stopped after the cast comes off.
Be careful, I was told a cast was optional and it healed crooked without a cast and the muscles look and feel pulled and it's causing quite a bit of pain, more than when I first broke it.
 
Evo said:
Be careful, I was told a cast was optional and it healed crooked without a cast and the muscles look and feel pulled and it's causing quite a bit of pain, more than when I first broke it.

I still can't figure out how things like that can be messed up, but I'm used to seeing engineered structures. Can't they measure to make sure it's straight?

And I can't see how someone with enough education to be a surgeon can make enough of a mess so that someone has to go back and clean up the mess with another surgery, delaying recovery additional weeks, not be mention making rehabilitation more difficult because my muscles have had more time to atrophy. Ugh. When they had my cast off today I felt my calf and it felt like jello compared to my functioning calf. Imagining trying to walk with that two months more after my surgery was painful. But I know other people definitely have worse situations.
 
Evo said:
Be careful, I was told a cast was optional and it healed crooked without a cast and the muscles look and feel pulled and it's causing quite a bit of pain, more than when I first broke it.

What type of break did you suffer? Mine was a radial head fracture. The doc said to start range of motion exercise as soon as possible (I waited 2 weeks). I've got most of the range back but the pain is still there at the extremes of my range of motion. My pain level is much less than when I first injured it (but I still cry manly tears... so what, I can't be president?) but a day of heavy typing really zings it!

Greg, will the screws and plate prevent you from having an MRI on your lower extremities?
 
Last edited:
chemisttree said:
Greg, will the screws and plate prevent you from having an MRI on your lower extremities?

From what I know, surgical (stainless) steel doesn't have good magnetic properties. I think I remember fooling around with stainless and having a hard time getting permanent magnets to hold onto it. I did a quick google check and got this:


Dr. Shellock has also examined the movement/deflection of selected orthopaedic implants in a 3.0 Tesla MRI unit and found that devices fabricated from cobalt, titanium and stainless steel exhibited little or no movement/deflection
http://www.zimmer.com/z/ctl/op/global/action/1/id/9153/template/MP/navid/582

So I don't think it will be an issue. I've heard that accidental or unknown slivers of metals (from welding and machining) can be very dangerous, especially if they are in sensitive areas like the eye. Not stainless, though.
 
chemisttree said:
What type of break did you suffer? Mine was a radial head fracture.
Mine separated the bones at the elbow and also a fracture straight across the ulna where it goes up.

See the picture of the bent elbow? If you take that bottom white line of 2 and run it straight across instead of curving up, the ulna fracture was there.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...lna&start=20&ndsp=20&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

When I try to hold my arm out straight it looks like this ^ instead of -, it's like the wing of a bird bent in flight. :frown: