Field due to semicircle, cut up into pieces

• Thread starter CollegeStudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Field
In summary: The approximation in the first case is simpler, but the field at the center of the circle may not be exactly represented.
CollegeStudent

Homework Statement

Find the electric field due to a half circle of radius R and total charge Q. (a) First estimate by dividing the charge into five equal parts. (b) Repeat for 9 equal parts, (c) Using integral calculus solve exactly.

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Cant remember too much from doing these before...for a start I guess...

a) break into 5 parts...

Q = Q/5

Just need some help getting going!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
CollegeStudent said:

Homework Statement

Find the electric field due to a half circle of radius R and total charge Q. (a) First estimate by dividing the charge into five equal parts. (b) Repeat for 9 equal parts, (c) Using integral calculus solve exactly.

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Cant remember too much from doing these before...for a start I guess...

a) break into 5 parts...

Q = Q/5

Just need some help getting going!

Thanks in advance!
Are you finding the field at the center of the circle, or at some general point ?

SammyS said:
Are you finding the field at the center of the circle, or at some general point ?

Doesn't specify...That is the entire question...hmm based on the level of what the class would be at, I would say at some general point

You need to decide what the parts look like and how you will approximate the field due to each (as point charges, presumably).

Alright so I've been working on this...and understand that this question want the field at the center of the circle

So here's what I've been doing...

Untitled.png

Total Charge = Q

Charge per unit length = Q/L

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Part A...Q = Q/5 and L would be a half circle (pi * r) divided into 5 parts...so (5 pi * r)

So we would have λ = .2Q / (5 pi * r)

The charge on each slice will be dQ = λRdθ

So for a small portion of the electric field we would have

dE = kdQ / r^2 = (kλ / r) dθ

Now the components of the field will be

E_x = dEcosθ
E_y = dEsinθ

So for the total field we will have

E_x = ∫(kλ / r)cosθ dθ = (kλ / r) ∫ cosθdθ = (kλ / r)sinθ evaluated from 0 to pi
And
E_y = ∫(kλ / r)sinθ dθ = (kλ / r) ∫ sinθdθ = -(kλ / r)cosθ evaluated from 0 to pi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The x-components will cancel out...and the y-components will come out to (2kλ / r) right?

So would that be it? Knowing λ = .2Q /(5 pi * r) ?

Sorry for not knowing how to make that look nice...not too veteran here just yet :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone let me know if I went completely off...or something is right :) thanks again!

CollegeStudent said:
For Part A...Q = Q/5 and L would be a half circle (pi * r) divided into 5 parts...so (5 pi * r)
What's 5 pi * r? That's two-and-a-half times around the circle!
So we would have λ = .2Q / (5 pi * r)

The charge on each slice will be dQ = λRdθ

So for a small portion of the electric field we would have

dE = kdQ / r^2 = (kλ / r) dθ

Now the components of the field will be

E_x = dEcosθ
E_y = dEsinθ

So for the total field we will have

E_x = ∫(kλ / r)cosθ dθ = (kλ / r) ∫ cosθdθ = (kλ / r)sinθ evaluated from 0 to pi
And
E_y = ∫(kλ / r)sinθ dθ = (kλ / r) ∫ sinθdθ = -(kλ / r)cosθ evaluated from 0 to pi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The x-components will cancel out...and the y-components will come out to (2kλ / r) right?
You seem to have confused two approaches. The cutting into 5 parts approach should be an approximation that avoids calculus. I would assume you are meant to represent each of the parts as a point charge. λ=Q/L, where L is the total length of the arc, πr, in all cases.
Your exact calculus solution looks right (except at the end where you plugged in the wrong value for λ).

haruspex said:
What's 5 pi * r? That's two-and-a-half times around the circle!.
Oh wow was that a mistake...what got me confused on that was I was looking at it as

(1/5) (.2Q / (pi * r)) which then lead me to the (5 pi * r)

alright so then it SHOULD be ,if wanting to use decimals here, (.2pi * r)

Well that's interesting...now the (.2)'s cancel and we only have the Q/(pi *r)? Is that correct?

CollegeStudent said:
we only have the Q/(pi *r)? Is that correct?
Yes, but as I posted, for the exact (calculus) method there was no point in going through that 0.2 stuff in the first place.
You are asked to use two methods. In one you cut it up into 5 or 9 pieces and apply some simple approximation - no calculus. In the other, you keep it as a single piece and apply the calculus method you posted.

What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field due to a semicircle?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field due to a semicircle is B = (μ₀I)/2R, where B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the semicircle, and R is the radius of the semicircle.

How is the semicircle divided into pieces and how does it affect the magnetic field?

The semicircle can be divided into multiple smaller pieces, and the magnetic field at any point due to these pieces can be calculated by adding the individual magnetic fields at that point. The smaller the pieces, the more accurate the calculation will be.

What is the direction of the magnetic field at the center of a semicircle?

The direction of the magnetic field at the center of a semicircle is perpendicular to the plane of the semicircle, pointing away from the flat side and towards the curved side.

How does the current direction affect the magnetic field due to a semicircle?

The direction of the current flow has a significant impact on the direction of the magnetic field. If the current flows in a clockwise direction, the magnetic field will be in the opposite direction as compared to when the current flows in a counterclockwise direction.

What are the real-life applications of the magnetic field due to a semicircle cut up into pieces?

The magnetic field due to a semicircle has various real-life applications, including magnetic levitation, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and particle accelerators. It is also used in the design of magnetic sensors and motors.