Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field Theory Partition Function

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    The 'partition function' in QFT is written as [itex]Z=\langle 0 | e^{-i\hat H T} |0\rangle[/itex], but I'm having a difficult time really understanding this. I'm assuming that [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] represents the vacuum state with no particles present. If that's the case, and the Hamiltonian acting on such a state would just produce the ground state energy, which can be defined to be zero. How does this give you anything interesting then? If [itex] e^{-i\hat H T} |0\rangle=e^{-i (0)T}|0\rangle[/itex], then I fail to see how this quantity is of any use. (I know that by adding a source to the Hamiltonian, you can calculate the interaction energy of two particles, but for a source free H I'm not sure what it does). Also, if you have a Hamiltonian of the form [itex]:\hat H:=\sum_{k}\hat a^{\dagger}_{k}\hat a_{k}[/itex], where [itex]\hat a_{k}|0\rangle=0[/itex], then I really don't get what's going on here when you write out Z. Does it only make sense to calculate this when you have a source term added?
    Thanks in advance for any help

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vacuum state is a very complicated issue in QFT. Since we usually can't solve the interacting theory exactly, we resort to perturbation theory, where

$$ H = H_0 + H_I,$$

with ##H_0## the free Hamiltonian and ##H_I## the interacting part. There are then really two vacuum states that we can define. For example, in Peskin & Schroder, ##|0\rangle## is the vacuum for the free Hamiltonian, while they use ##|\Omega\rangle## to stand for the vacuum of the full theory.

The Hamiltonian really isn't [itex]:\hat H:=\sum_{k}\hat a^{\dagger}_{k}\hat a_{k}[/itex], rather the normal-ordered free Hamiltonian has this form. Along with the normal-ordering, we're typically dropping the zero-point energy of the oscillators, so we can define the zero of energy by choosing ##H_0 |0\rangle =0##. However, once we do this, the interaction terms generally are not normal ordered, so ##H_I|0\rangle \neq 0##. The interactions can create virtual particles from the vacuum (in such a way that all charges are conserved). Therefore, the partition function is generally non-trivial and corresponds to a sum over so-called bubble diagrams, which have no external lines.

4. May 22, 2013 #3
    Thank you, I didn't think too much about what the Hamiltonian really is. Including the interaction terms gives you a non-trivial calculation, and I think I overlooked the addition of that to the total Hamiltonian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook