Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fields with least amount of geometry/topology?

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1

tgt

Which fields are they? Maybe a ranking if you can give one.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The simplest field I can think of consists of one number 0. The next simplest consists of two numbers (0 and 1) using modulo 2 for addition. After this things get more complicated.

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I had thought the question was about fields of work or professions! Veterinary medicine came to mind.

5. Oct 15, 2008 #4

tgt

fields (non mathematical term) in maths.

6. Oct 16, 2008 #5
    As far as I know, Sally Field has a very minimal amount of geometry/topology in her work. I think there was a scene of her doing some algebra in an episode of Gidget.

7. Oct 16, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A little bit more seriously, "Abstract Algebra" as a general field is usually distinguished form Topology/geometry. Other forms of mathematics typically include some algebra and some topology.

8. Oct 17, 2008 #7

tgt

But still it's very related in a way since one can define geometry in terms of algebraic concepts. What is something that is so far from topology and geometry that there is not the slightest connection?

9. Oct 17, 2008 #8

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is very hard to find a branch of mathematics that has absolutely no connection to geometry or topology, particularly since you don't think abstract algebra is not far enough away. I could suggest number theory but then the pythagorean theorem might turn you off. Also abstract probability theory could qualify, as long as you don't use Borel fields for sigma fields.

10. Oct 18, 2008 #9

tgt

So maybe analysis related stuff? How about mathematical logic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?