Figuring out force required to get an object from A to B

• Thread starter newcomma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating the force needed to move an object from one position to another within a given time frame. The suggested approach involves using kinematic equations and taking into account variables such as target position and velocity. However, it is noted that this may require an iterative process and variable acceleration to achieve the desired outcome. The damping equation is also mentioned as a potential solution, but it does not account for time constraints.
newcomma
I'm trying to work out as part of video game how to do the following:

• I have an object A with a current 3D position and velocity
  • I have a target B with a different position and velocity
  • I need to match the position and velocity within a target time T

I want to calculate how to get from A to B within T, or I guess what force I should be adding at each time step. I took a look at a similar question

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-an-object-from-one-point-to-another.327804/
F(t)=−k∗(x(t)−xmouse(t))−c∗v(t)

The undefined symbols are:
xmouse(t)=
position of the mouse at time t
k = "Spring" constant, force of attraction between object and mouse
c = "Viscous damping coefficient", force that slows the object down​

And whilst the damping formula provided here allows nice smooth motion for an object to reach the other, I'm unsure how to

1.) Constrain this damped formula so that I can guarantee that the object will be at the target position within a given amount of time.
2.) Match both the target position and velocity, whilst ideally still having some damping coeffecients to control how nice the curvature is.

I could calculate getting to the position in the correct time using suvat equations and constant acceleration, but this of course doesn't compensate for the velocity change either.

My physics knowledge is relatively basic, I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think calculating the force is the least of your problems. This sounds difficult to me.

For example you could start by working out how long it takes the missile to reach the target based on their current relative positions... but in the time it takes to get there the target will have moved. So you need to predict where they target will be and aim for that spot. However it might take longer to get to that spot and the missile will have moved even further. I think you might need some sort of iterative process just to arrive at an aiming point.

Thanks for the response. So I can figure out how to get from A to B at time T using the kinematic displacement equation, or more specifically:

where V_0 and P_0 are initial velocity and initial position.

P(t) = P_0 + t*V_0 + 0.5*(t^2)*Accel

So I know after T seconds the position is P_1 (or destination position), this allows me to rearrange this kinematic equation to basically find a constant acceleration that gets A to B in time T.

If B is moving then I can keep recomputing this at each time step so it's iterative.

However the velocity it's traveling at is not the velocity I want it to end up at, which I guess requires variable acceleration somehow so I don't think this kinematic equation is useful here. Hence why I was looking at that damping equation as it smoothly gets A to B, but no time constraints.

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that is used to describe the interaction between objects and their motion. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) and is represented by a vector, which has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do I calculate the force required to move an object from point A to point B?

The force required to move an object from point A to point B is determined by dividing the total distance by the time it takes for the object to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed. The force can then be calculated using the formula: force = mass x acceleration.

3. What factors affect the amount of force required to move an object from point A to point B?

The amount of force required to move an object from point A to point B depends on several factors, including the mass of the object, the distance it needs to travel, and the type of surface it is moving on. Additionally, the amount of friction and air resistance also play a role in determining the force needed.

4. How can I measure the force required to move an object from point A to point B?

The force required to move an object can be measured using a variety of instruments such as a spring scale or a force sensor. These devices measure the amount of force being applied to an object and can provide an accurate reading of the force required to move it from one point to another.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating the force required to move an object from point A to point B?

Yes, the formula for calculating the force required to move an object from point A to point B is force = mass x acceleration. This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.