Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Figuring Out The Best Price of Blank Media

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    Which is the best deal out of these options and how do you figure it out mathematically? Do you calculate it down to the megabyte...gigabyte or per disc? Im not sure how to do it correctly.

The 3 options are...

30 pack of 25GB Blu Ray Discs for 29.99

50 pack of 8.5GB DVDR DL for 51.99

100 pack of 4.7GB DVDR for 25.49

Please let me know how to figure it out...thank you for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2012 #2
    Choose one and go for it? Total capacity, perhaps? Or the equipment you have available? Size of files?

4. Jun 1, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can work out the cost per GB of storage for each of the three options. For the Blu Ray discs, there are 30 discs at 25 GB each, making 30 * 25 = 750 GB in all. Divide the cost (29.99) by the amount of storage (750 GB) to get the cost per GB.

5. Jun 1, 2012 #4
    Another factor is the intended usage. For example, backing-up my Quicken data, which is only a few megabytes, is more economical on CD-R. Likewise with archiving my digital photos. One year of photos easily fits on a single-layer DVD.

6. Jun 1, 2012 #5
    CDR's these days are considerably more expensive than DVDR's for some crazy reason.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...600010573&IsNodeId=1&name=100 Pack - 600 Pack

Thanx Mark44...

The best deal is the Blu Ray discs at about 4 cents per GB. The DVDR's are about 5 cents per GB. And the Dual Layer DVD's are about 12 cents per GB. What a scam LoL. You would think that Dual Layer DVD's would be far less expensive than Blu Ray discs.

7. Jun 1, 2012 #6
    This is how inflated CDR prices are these days....

For CDR's to be the same price as the DVDR's I mentioned (100 DVDR's for 25.49) The equivalent of that is 3.50 for a 100 pack of CDR's which obviously wont ever happen. The price for 100 CDR's is miles away from 3.50.

8. Jun 1, 2012 #7

Mark44

I can remember buying RAM for an Apple IIe computer some years back - I paid about $100 for 128KB. That means I was paying about $800/MB, or the equivalent of $80,000/GB.

So $.12 per GB doesn't seem quite so much of a scam...

9. Jun 1, 2012 #8

Does it make sense to compare the prices of things from today to the prices of things back in the day? No... I had to pay insane prices for things back then as well which if I compare it to how inexpensive the same things are these days it isnt even remotely close. Just like your example.

I'm comparing the prices of equivalent items in the exact same time period. So yes paying triple the amount per GB is completely foolish.

10. Jun 1, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I remember buying my first computer the same year I bought a new car. I paid about as much for the computer as I did for the car!

11. Jun 2, 2012 #10

Mark44

Not necessarily, since there might be other factors at play, such as the lifespan of the media, the quality of the media, and so on. If the only criterion is the cost per GB, then, yes, I would go for the cheaper product, but there might be other criteria that should be considered as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook