Files have become overly sensitive to mouse drags

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
nomadreid
Gold Member

Summary:

Recently, when I want to drag a file, the file opens before I can drag it.
In the last month, when I use my mouse to drag a file, it has been opening the file instead. I have not changed my technique for dragging, so I suppose there is some setting that has become shifted. Can I adjust for, say, a time-lapse before opening, or perhaps changing the opening command to a double click, or some such. If so, where do I find this (Windows 10) Or do I just need a new mouse? I would be grateful for pointers.

Answers and Replies

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Summary: Recently, when I want to drag a file, the file opens before I can drag it.

If so, where do I find this (Windows 10)

Tho it is possible that the pushbutton in the mouse it becoming faulty ... you haven't stated how old it is.
You should be able to determine that by how well the physical click sounds coming from the mouse switch.

If it sounds weak ( not a clear defined click) then yes the mouse is probably faulty... they don't last for ever
~2 yrs and time for a new one :smile:

failing that, you could check the click speed in the Win10 mouse settings I find the medium setting suits me
see screen dump below

mouse settings.jpg

cheers
Dave

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid
Gold Member
Super answer, thanks, Dave (davenn). :biggrin: Yes, old mouse. I will try the Settings you indicate, and if that doesn't work, get a new mouse.

Before you get the new mouse try unplugging it and plugging it back in, that will reset the parameters changed if any. I havge to do this all the time after my son starts playing with the DPI buttons on my gaming mouse.

Likes anorlunda and nomadreid
nomadreid
Gold Member
Thanks for the tip, MikeeMiracle!