1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fill a test tube with HCL solution before adding a piece of metal?

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    Why it would be unwise to almost completely fill a test tube with HCL solution before adding a piece of metal? Is it because it's a acidic solution?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's see some analysis from your part first.......start with some equations, which should be located in your text explicitly.

4. Sep 19, 2006 #3
    Acid and metal can react fiarly vigourously. U wouldnt want acid bubbling over the edge and onto ur hands. Although in my experience its not near as bad as ud think.
    DONT GET DRUNK BEFORE CHEMISTRY LAB!

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I've heard of some cases of individuals coming to the lab intoxicated.......and also those who have actually, purposefully, took a sip of the ethanol reagents during a session.

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    Except for what Blackwizard said about "Acid and metal can react fiarly vigourously", there is no other reason for which (either metal or acidic solution) goes into test tube first?

7. Sep 19, 2006 #6
    Hahaha! Was always tempted but our teacher told us itd kill us! I didnt believe him but i wudnt take the chance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?