Fill in the empty columns of a work/power table

In summary, the conversation is about filling in the empty columns of a table and finding the estimated hours of use per week. The formula for work and power is also mentioned. The first two rows of the table have already been filled in with the E per week and the running yearly cost Y. The remaining two columns require some calculation and it is mentioned that the estimated hours of use may depend on personal choice or conditions given in the problem.
ElegantSir

Homework Statement

"Fill in the empty columns of the following table"

Table is in the thumbnail

Homework Equations

work = force / distance
power = work / time

Y = E * c
-Y is the yearly running cost
-E is the EnerGuide energy rating per year
-c is the cost of electricity per kW/h

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already filled in the first 2 blank rows on the table.
The E per week is 5.08kWh/week and 17.5kWh/week
for the running yearly cost Y it is $0.30/week and $1.05/week

This is where I am stuck. I have no idea how to fill out the last 2 columns with the information I currently have. I thought I would need to divide and or multiply a number by 168 (number of hours in a week) but that doesn't seem to do any good. Could someone point me in the direction as to what I need to calculate in order to find the estimated hours of use per week?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 672
Physics news on Phys.org
It just depends on your choice :)

Daeho Ro said:
It just depends on your choice :)
Does that mean that the time is completely up to you to decide? The only reason I am confused about this is because this is only a practice question and the actual homework has a table almost identical to this one where it asks the "estimated hours of use."
So to reiterate the hours of use I am supposed to be making up..?

Yes, it seems. Sometimes you have to give some condition to solve an problem. Usually, people didn't watch the TV whole 7 days :)

Daeho Ro said:
Yes, it seems. Sometimes you have to give some condition to solve an problem. Usually, people didn't watch the TV whole 7 days :)
Hmm, it makes sense. But you would think that if I wasnt supposed to solve something that the estimated time would be an automatic given variable on the table.

I read carefully the problem, but I didn't get it.

1. How do I fill in the empty columns of a work/power table?

The columns for work and power can be filled in by using the equations W = F x d and P = W/t, where W is work, F is force, d is distance, P is power, and t is time. Simply plug in the known values for force, distance, and time and solve for work and power.

2. What are the units of measurement for work and power?

Work is typically measured in Joules (J) and power is measured in Watts (W).

3. Can the work/power table be used for all types of work and power calculations?

Yes, the table can be used for any type of work and power calculations as long as the correct values are entered into the table.

4. How can I use the work/power table to compare different tasks or machines?

The work/power table can be used to compare different tasks or machines by calculating and comparing the work and power values for each. This can help determine which task or machine is more efficient.

5. What are some real-world applications of work and power calculations?

Work and power calculations are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. Examples include calculating the power output of an engine, determining the work done by a machine, and measuring the power output of an athlete during exercise.