Final pressure when two gases at different pressure

In summary, when two gases at different pressure are mixed, the final pressure can be calculated using the formula P2V2=P1V1, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume of each gas, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and total volume after mixing. In the given scenario, the final pressure is calculated to be 2.6 atm by considering the 5-L tank as empty and using the respective values for the remaining gas. Another approach could be to calculate the total number of moles and use it to calculate the final pressure, but both methods yield the same result.
omni
final pressure when two gases at different pressure are mixed.
The valve between a 5-L tank containing a gas (Methane) at 3 atm and a 1-L tank containing a gas ( Ethane) at 0.55 atm (both are in 50 Degrees Celsius) is opened. What is the final pressure in the tanks? (assume that there is no change in temperature).

so my idea is to Imagine that the 5 L tank contains nothing. so i get:P1=0.55 atm V1=1L P2=?, V2=6L

and in the other gas i get this: P1=3atm V1=5L P2=? V2=6L.so what i think to do is, to use this formula:P2V2=P1V1 to work out the P2 so i get P2=(P1V1)/V2

so in the first gas i get: (3*5)/6=2.5 atm

and in the second gas i get:(0.55*1)/6=0.091atm
so the final pressure is 2.5+0.09=2.6atm ?

i am not sure i use the correct formula i would like to get help here.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems right, you got the partial pressures and got the total from there

ok thank you :)

I would calculate total number of moles and use it to calculate final pressure (RT cancels out if calculations are done on symbols). But your approach is perfectly valid.

well
i find my way a little bit more easier. :)

thank you.

Likes Rakesh bhatoa

1. What is the final pressure when two gases at different pressure are mixed?

The final pressure when two gases at different pressure are mixed is equal to the sum of the initial pressures of the two gases. This is based on the ideal gas law, which states that the total pressure of a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas.

2. How do you calculate the final pressure of a gas mixture?

To calculate the final pressure of a gas mixture, you need to know the initial pressures of each gas, as well as the volume and temperature of the mixture. Then, you can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the total pressure.

3. What happens to the individual gases' pressures when they are mixed together?

When two gases at different pressures are mixed together, the individual gases' pressures will equalize to the final pressure of the mixture. This is due to the gases spreading out and filling the available space, resulting in a uniform pressure throughout the mixture.

4. Can the final pressure of a gas mixture be higher than the initial pressure of one of the gases?

Yes, the final pressure of a gas mixture can be higher than the initial pressure of one of the gases. This can happen if the initial pressures of the two gases are significantly different and the higher pressure gas is able to push the lower pressure gas into a smaller volume, resulting in a higher overall pressure.

5. How does the temperature of a gas mixture affect the final pressure?

The temperature of a gas mixture can affect the final pressure by changing the volume of the gases. According to the ideal gas law, as the temperature increases, the volume of a gas increases, resulting in a decrease in pressure. Similarly, a decrease in temperature will result in a decrease in volume and an increase in pressure.