1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final temperature of a gas passed through a porous plug

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gas has the following equations of state: [tex] P=\frac{U}{V} \,\,\,and \,\,\,T=3B\frac{U^{\frac{2}{3}}}{N^\frac{1}{3}V^\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]
    where B is a positive constant. The system obeys the Nernst Postulate (S tends to zero as T tends to zero). The gas, at a initial temperature [itex] T_i[/itex] and initial pressure [itex] P_i[/itex], is passed through a porous plug in a Joule-Thomson Process. The final pressure is [itex]P_f[/itex]. Calculate the final temperature.

This question is from Callen, Thermodynamics (1985). Question 6.3-2

2. Relevant equations
    The fundamental equation of Joule-Thomson effect is [itex] dT=\frac{v}{c_p}(T\alpha-1)dP[/itex] (*)
    Alpha is the coefficient of thermal expansion and Cp is the heat capacity at constant pressure.
    I think that may be useful know the differential of enthalpy [itex]dH=TdS+VdP[/itex] (assuming N constant)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to use the equations of state and write [itex]T=3B(\frac{P^2V}{N})^\frac{1}{3}[/itex]
    Then, isolating V in this expression, I tried to find alpha: [itex]\alpha=\frac{1}{v} \frac{\partial v}{\partial T}[/itex] and replacing theese two values in the expression (*). My problem is that I didn't find the Cp.
    Is my logic right? I can conclude by this way or am I completely wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can work it this way, but as you noticed, it can take some work to get a useful expression for Cp.

Instead, you can try using what you know about enthalpy for the porous plug experiment. Can you use your equations of state to express enthalpy as a function of P and T?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted