Final velocities of two objects in a 2D elastic collision

Homework Statement

An atomic nucleous of mass m travelling with speed v collides elastically with a target particle of mass 3.0m (initially at rest) and is scattered at 45o
(a). What are the final speeds of the two particles?
Advice: eliminate the target particle's recoil angle by manipulating the equation of momentum conservation so that can use the identity sin2Φ + cos2Φ = 1

Variables (that I used):

v = speed of the atom before the collision (along the x-axis, i.e. parallel to the x-axis)
u1 = final velocity of the atom after the collision (goes above the x-axis by 45o)
u2 = final velocity of the target particle after the collision (goes below the x-axis by Φ)

Homework Equations

[/B]
Conservation of Momentum:
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1u1 m2u2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I used the conservation of momentum formula and simplified it as follows:

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1u1 + m2u2
mv = mu1 + 3.0mu2
mv = m(u1 + 3.0u2)
v = u1 + 3.0u2
I broke u1 and u2 into component forms:

x-direction:
v = u1cos(45o) + 3.0u2cosΦ
y-direction:
0 = u1sin(45o) - 3.0u2sinΦ
This is where I get stuck, I even tried to use the conservation of kinetic energy,

v2 = u12 + 3.0u22
To find for the unknowns, but for some reason, the equations just all cancel out or become impossible to solve when I tried to substitute and find the final velocities, and for some reason, I can't get the expression sin2Φ + cos2Φ = 1 as the Advice recommended me to do. I asked my Prof. and he said that I had to break the final velocities into its component forms to get that trig. identity before rushing to a meeting.

Note:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, I think that the angle between these two final velocities (45o + Φ) = 90o, since the conservation of kinetic energy equation: v2 = u12 + 3.0u22, looks like Pythagoras Theorem, where v is the hypotenuse, and all these 3 velocities form a right triangle.

Answers and Replies

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Welcome to PF, Protium_H1.

x-direction:
v = u1cos(45o) + 3.0u2cosΦ
y-direction:
0 = u1sin(45o) - 3.0u2sinΦ
This is where I get stuck, I even tried to use the conservation of kinetic energy,

v2 = u12 + 3.0u22
To make use of the trig identity, solve the x-momentum equation for 3.0u2cosΦ and solve the y-momentum equation for 3.0u2sinΦ. Can you then see how to proceed?

Note:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but, I think that the angle between these two final velocities (45o + Φ) = 90o
This would be true if the two masses were equal. It is not true in this problem.

To make use of the trig identity, solve the x-momentum equation for 3.0u2cosΦ and solve the y-momentum equation for 3.0u2sinΦ. Can you then see how to proceed?

This would be true if the two masses were equal. It is not true in this problem.

Would I have to add these two equations up and square them?

[3.0u2cosΦ]2 = [v - u2cos(45o)]2
[3.0u2sinΦ]2 = [u1sin(45o)]2

then,

[3.0u2sinΦ]2 + [3.0u2cosΦ]2 = [u1sin(45o)]2 + [v - u2cos(45o)]2
9.0u22[cos2Φ + sin2Φ] = [u1sin(45o)]2 + [v - u2cos(45o)]2
9.0u22 = [u1sin(45o)]2 + [v - u2cos(45o)]2
but I still have 3 unknowns in this equation, is there a way to cancel 2 of them?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Would I have to add these two equations up and square them?

[3.0u2cosΦ]2 = [v - u2cos(45o)]2
[3.0u2sinΦ]2 = [u1sin(45o)]2
Yes. But you have a typographical error in the subscript on the right side of the first equation.

but I still have 3 unknowns in this equation, is there a way to cancel 2 of them?
You have only two unknowns since you can consider v as given.
Don't forget the energy equation.