1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final Velocity (involving momentum)

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Final Velocity (involving momentum)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 0.329-kg puck, initially at rest on a frictionless horizontal surface, is struck by a 0.222-kg puck that is intitially moving along the x-axis with a velocity of 2.24 m/s. After the collision, the 0.222-kg puck has a speed of 1.24 m/s at an angle of 24 degrees to the positive x-axis. (a) Determine the velocity of the 0.329-kg puck after the collision. (b) Find the fraction of the kinetic energy lost in the collision.

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried m1 = 0.329kg ----- m2 = 0.222kg

m1v1(i) + m2v2(i) = m1v1(f) + m2v2(f)

v1(f) = [m2v2(i) - m2v2(f) cos theta] / m1
    v1(f) = 0.7471105 m/s (this was wrong)

I assume I need to find the x and y components and then use vector sumation but I have NO idea how to find the y...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Let v2(f) makes an angle theta with positivde x-axis. Take the compondents of v1(f) and v2(f) along x and y- axis. Y camponents miust be equal and opposite because v1 is along x-axis. So you can wright two equations. 1) m1v1 + m2*0 = m1v1(f)cos(24) + m2v2(f)cor(theta)
    2) m1v1(f)sin(24) = m2v2(f)sin(theta) . Rewrigth the equation(1) as
    m1v1 -m1vi(f)cos(24) = m2v2(f)cos(theta)....(.3) Square eq. 2 and 3 and add. After solving you will get v2(f)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?