Final Velocity (involving momentum)

In summary, the problem involves two pucks colliding on a frictionless surface. The initial velocity and mass of both pucks are given, along with the final velocity and angle of one of the pucks after the collision. The goal is to find the final velocity of the other puck and the fraction of kinetic energy lost in the collision. To solve this, the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of energy are used, along with vector sumation to find the final velocity of the second puck.
grouchy
[SOLVED] Final Velocity (involving momentum)

Homework Statement

A 0.329-kg puck, initially at rest on a frictionless horizontal surface, is struck by a 0.222-kg puck that is intitially moving along the x-axis with a velocity of 2.24 m/s. After the collision, the 0.222-kg puck has a speed of 1.24 m/s at an angle of 24 degrees to the positive x-axis. (a) Determine the velocity of the 0.329-kg puck after the collision. (b) Find the fraction of the kinetic energy lost in the collision.

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried m1 = 0.329kg ----- m2 = 0.222kg

m1v1(i) + m2v2(i) = m1v1(f) + m2v2(f)

v1(f) = [m2v2(i) - m2v2(f) cos theta] / m1
v1(f) = 0.7471105 m/s (this was wrong)

I assume I need to find the x and y components and then use vector sumation but I have NO idea how to find the y...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let v2(f) makes an angle theta with positivde x-axis. Take the compondents of v1(f) and v2(f) along x and y- axis. Y camponents miust be equal and opposite because v1 is along x-axis. So you can wright two equations. 1) m1v1 + m2*0 = m1v1(f)cos(24) + m2v2(f)cor(theta)
2) m1v1(f)sin(24) = m2v2(f)sin(theta) . Rewrigth the equation(1) as
m1v1 -m1vi(f)cos(24) = m2v2(f)cos(theta)...(.3) Square eq. 2 and 3 and add. After solving you will get v2(f)

I can confirm that your attempt at solving this problem is correct. However, the reason why you obtained the wrong answer for the final velocity of the 0.329-kg puck is because you have not taken into account the conservation of momentum in the y-direction. In this case, the y-component of momentum is also conserved during the collision.

To find the y-component of momentum, you can use the equation:

m1v1y(i) + m2v2y(i) = m1v1y(f) + m2v2y(f)

Since the initial velocity of the 0.329-kg puck is 0 m/s, the equation becomes:

m2v2y(i) = m1v1y(f) + m2v2y(f)

To solve for v1y(f), you can use the fact that the final velocity of the 0.222-kg puck is at an angle of 24 degrees to the positive x-axis. This means that the y-component of its velocity can be found using the equation:

v2y(f) = v2(f) sin theta

Now, you can plug in the known values and solve for v1y(f). Once you have both the x and y components of the final velocity of the 0.329-kg puck, you can use vector addition to find the final velocity.

As for part (b) of the problem, you can use the equation for kinetic energy:

KE = 1/2 * m * v^2

To find the fraction of kinetic energy lost, you can compare the initial kinetic energy (before the collision) with the final kinetic energy (after the collision). The difference between the two will give you the amount of kinetic energy lost. You can then divide this by the initial kinetic energy to find the fraction lost.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the problem better and allows you to arrive at the correct answer. Remember to always consider all the relevant principles, such as conservation of momentum and energy, when solving physics problems. Keep up the good work!

1. What is final velocity?

Final velocity is the velocity of an object at the end of a given time period or after experiencing a change in motion. It is typically represented by the symbol "v" and is measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is final velocity related to momentum?

Final velocity is directly proportional to momentum. Momentum is the product of an object's mass and its velocity, so as the final velocity increases, the momentum of the object also increases.

3. What factors affect the final velocity of an object?

The final velocity of an object is affected by its initial velocity, the force acting on it, and the time period in which the force is applied. In general, a larger initial velocity or a greater force will result in a higher final velocity.

4. Can final velocity be negative?

Yes, final velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity. For example, if an object is initially moving to the right with a velocity of 10 m/s and experiences a force that causes it to decelerate to the left, its final velocity would be -5 m/s.

5. How is final velocity calculated?

The final velocity of an object can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time period. If the object experiences a constant acceleration, the equation v = u + at can be simplified to v = u + 2as, where s is the displacement of the object during the time period.