Final velocity with air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object being shot vertically with air resistance. The first part of the problem is solved, but the person is struggling with the second part. They ask for help, but are reminded that they must do the work themselves. The conversation ends with the person expressing frustration and asking for the thread to be deleted.
enanthate
Ok so I am working on this problem and can only get through the first question, the second question keeps stumping me.

I have uploaded the question along with my calculations for part a so you can see what I'm doing.

-----
A object of mass (m) is shot vertically up with V0 200 m/s.
Air resistance R is proportional with the square root of the velocity, R= -mkv^2
where k= 0.010m-1

a) How high does the object reach.

This one I have solved:

h= (1/2k) * ln [(g+kv^2)/g]

b)

What is the speed the object has when it hits the ground?

------

I just can't get the right answer to b, I keep getting the same velovity as V0 which can't be right.

IF it is possible to hand write your work or write it mathematically I would really appreciate it.

My work in attachment as both .pdf or .jpg, whatever you prefer.

In advance, thank you very much!

Attachments

• prob.pdf
    937.7 KB · Views: 265
  • prob-page-001.jpg
    prob-page-001.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
You looked like you understood what was going on in solving the first part. Why did you give up on the second part?

Remember, the second part is slightly different from the first. From solving the first part, you know how far the object must fall, and you know its initial velocity. Can't you adjust your analysis from the first part to reflect this?

And no, no one is going to write it out neatly for you; you must do the work yourself.

Think a bit about the term -kmv2. It doesn't change sign when your object starts to descend.

Do you mean the air resistance is proportional to the velocity squared. I think that is what you have written as an equation.

SteamKing said:
You looked like you understood what was going on in solving the first part. Why did you give up on the second part?

Remember, the second part is slightly different from the first. From solving the first part, you know how far the object must fall, and you know its initial velocity. Can't you adjust your analysis from the first part to reflect this?

And no, no one is going to write it out neatly for you; you must do the work yourself.

Ok. I did not realize that no one will show me the solution here or I wouldn't have bothered posting. No point then is there.

Thanks for the input everyone, I can't find a delete button maybe a mod can delete the thread for me?

I'm sorry you feel that way. We can't help you if you are not willing to help yourself and put forth some effort.

1. What is final velocity with air resistance?

Final velocity with air resistance is the speed at which an object will eventually settle when falling through the air. It takes into account the force of air resistance, which acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion.

2. How does air resistance affect an object's final velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, increases as an object's speed increases. This means that as an object falls faster, the force of air resistance also increases, eventually reaching a point where it is equal to the force of gravity. At this point, the object's velocity will remain constant, and it will stop accelerating.

3. What factors can influence the final velocity with air resistance?

The final velocity with air resistance is influenced by several factors, including the object's mass, the surface area of the object, and the density and viscosity of the air. These factors determine the strength of the force of air resistance acting on the object.

4. How can I calculate the final velocity with air resistance?

The final velocity with air resistance can be calculated using the equation v = u + at - (kv^2)/m, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, t is the time taken, k is the air resistance coefficient, and m is the mass of the object.

5. Is it possible for an object to have a negative final velocity with air resistance?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have a negative final velocity with air resistance. This can occur when the force of air resistance is greater than the force of gravity, causing the object to slow down and eventually move in the opposite direction. This is known as terminal velocity and is the maximum negative final velocity an object can reach when falling with air resistance.