Invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses

In summary: it's like if you have a piece of paper in front of the object and you hold it up to the light. the light will hit the paper and then go to your eye. if the light hits the paper first, then it's in front of the object and you can't see it. if the light hits the object first, then it's behind the object and you can see it. right?
heavystray
Hello,
So, here's an article about invisibility cloaking

What I don't understand is how's the object between the lenses is cloaked. Is it because the rays are focused to a point after it passed through the first lens? (hence, there will be a region where rays do not pass through?) assuming that's the answer, but then in that case, isn't that, only rays that are parallel to the optical axis come into focus at one point? (which is the focal point) how about the rays that pass through optical center and the rays that pass through the first focal point and become parallel? if we draw a diagram, wouldn't these two principal rays disturb the cloaking region? i tried to draw a ray diagram to understand how this works. the final image of the object would be magnified and upright, but i still couldn't understand why can't we see the image, I really hope anyone here clear up my confusion because i have been thinking about this for days and my physics teacher couldn't help me that much. I have a very basic knowledge in optics such as constructing ray diagrams and solving problems using the thin lens equation. I'm sure there must be some concepts that i didn't know about. Here, I attach two diagrams i constructed to explain in a clearer way-hopefully- of what i don't understand. thank you in advance

Attachments

• ray diagram of cloaked object.jpg
    ray diagram of cloaked object.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 565
  • other principal rays.jpg
    other principal rays.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 531
Science news on Phys.org
You seem to be overthinking it. They show very clearly how it's done. The rays from the first lens converge to a point BETWEEN the first two lenses and as long as you don't put anything in front of that exact focus point, it won't be seen.

phinds said:
You seem to be overthinking it. They show very clearly how it's done. The rays from the first lens converge to a point BETWEEN the first two lenses and as long as you don't put anything in front of that exact focus point, it won't be seen.

Yes, as you say, if you put the ruler at the focus point of the beam that is imaging the grid in the distance, then the image of the grid would be blocked and you would see the presence of the ruler. With the ruler just outside this focus point, you are not blocking the grid imaging beam, so you see the grid. But you don't see the ruler, as you might by just placing it behind a lens (although not in focus). Well, it's a narrow field of view optical system - notice only about an inch of the distant grid is viewed through the lenses - so once the ruler is off-axis enough, all rays from it are vignetted and won't reach your eye. That's my interpretation of what's happening and I'm having trouble understanding what is unique about it.

phinds said:

EDIT: OOPS ... I should have said, as long as you don't put anything in front of the converging rays from the first lens since you COULD put them there but not block the focal point itself.

heavystray said:
i tried to draw a ray diagram to understand how this works. the final image of the object would be magnified and upright, but i still couldn't understand why can't we see the image...

It's too bad this thread didn't attract more attention. You might consider, in your first diagram at it is drawn, that the rays between the middle two lenses (at image position 2) would completely miss the next lens. What you drew is correct for finding image locations if you assume all the lenses are big enough to transfer the rays, but in reality, depending on the size of the lenses, this might not be the case.

It's a shame that the demonstration is done like a conjuring trick, rather than demonstrating its limitations - i.e. that the illusion doesn't work all over the field of the lens. They use spread fingers and an offset ruler etc. which implies more than the true situation. It's a smart trick but hardly Lord of the Rings or Star Trek.

pixel said:
It's too bad this thread didn't attract more attention. You might consider, in your first diagram at it is drawn, that the rays between the middle two lenses (at image position 2) would completely miss the next lens. What you drew is correct for finding image locations if you assume all the lenses are big enough to transfer the rays, but in reality, depending on the size of the lenses, this might not be the case.
oh, i think I understand it now, so if the lenses are not big enough, we wouldn't even see the image? is that correct? thanks for the replies

heavystray said:
oh, i think I understand it now, so if the lenses are not big enough, we wouldn't even see the image? is that correct? thanks for the replies

The reduction of image intensity for off-axis points is referred to as vignetting.

pixel said:
The reduction of image intensity for off-axis points is referred to as vignetting.
ouhh,i think i got it, thank you so much

1. How does invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses work?

Invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses works by using a combination of lenses and materials to bend light around an object, making it appear invisible. The lenses are arranged in a specific pattern to create a "cloak" around the object, bending light in a way that it passes through the object and continues on its original path.

2. What materials are used in invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses?

The materials used in invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses can vary, but they typically include materials with unique refractive properties, such as metamaterials or plasmonic materials. These materials are carefully chosen and arranged to manipulate light in a way that creates the cloaking effect.

3. Can invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses make anything completely invisible?

No, invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses can only make objects appear invisible to certain wavelengths of light. It is not currently possible to create a cloak that can make an object completely invisible to all types of light.

4. Are there any practical applications for invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses?

Yes, there are potential practical applications for invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses, such as military stealth technology, improved solar panels, and more efficient optical devices. However, the technology is still in its early stages and more research is needed to fully explore its potential applications.

5. What are the limitations of invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses?

Some limitations of invisibility cloaking using 4 lenses include the narrow range of wavelengths that can be cloaked, the size and complexity of the lenses required, and the need for precise alignment and control of the lenses. Additionally, the cloaking effect may be limited or distorted by changes in the environment, such as changes in temperature or humidity.