Find a counterexample for a false statment about independent events.

In summary, it is possible to construct a sample space where events A, B, and C are not independent, yet the equation P(A∩B∩C)=P(A)*P(B)*P(C) holds true. One example is a sample space with numbers 1 through 8, where events A and B are {1,2,3,4} and event C is {1,5,6,7}, with each event having a probability of 1/2. This shows that the truth of the equation is not enough to prove the events as mutually independent.
spyrustheviru
"Construct a sample space to show that the truth of this statement P(A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)=P(A)*P(B)*P(C) is not enough for the events A,B,C to be mutually independent.

Hint: Try finite sample spaces with equally likely simple events."

So, my though is that I need to find a sample space with 3 events A, B, C, that are not independent, yet P(A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]B[itex]\bigcap[/itex]C)=P(A)*P(B)*P(C) is true for them.
But I have already tried a couple of simple things and I can't seem to find a proper one. My problem propably lies in the events I take, not the spaces. I tried to use 2 tosses of fair, 6 sided dice, but my events were independent, 10 cards with the numbers 1-10 on them, 2 draws, and the card does not return to the deck. That one had dependent events, but the above statement was not true, and lastly, 2 coin tosses, but again, dependent events, untrue statement.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the easiest way to do this would be to let one of the events be the empty set -- then the equation P(A∩B∩C)=P(A)*P(B)*P(C) is automatically true.

Last edited:
Useful example. Whole space has numbers 1 through 8, each with probability = 1/8.
Let A = B = {1,2,3,4}
Let C = {1,5,6,7}
P(A)=P(B)=P(C)=1/2
P(A and B and C)=P({1})=1/8.

However A and B are obviously not independent. Also A and C are not independent.

1. What is a counterexample?

A counterexample is an example or instance that proves a statement or theory to be false. It is used to disprove a general statement by providing a specific instance where the statement does not hold true.

2. What is a false statement about independent events?

A false statement about independent events is a claim that two events are independent when in fact they are not. This means that the occurrence of one event affects the probability of the other event.

3. How do you find a counterexample for a false statement about independent events?

To find a counterexample, you need to look for a specific instance where the events are claimed to be independent, but their occurrence is actually dependent on each other. This could involve examining the relationship between the events and the given probabilities.

4. Why is it important to find counterexamples for false statements about independent events?

It is important to find counterexamples for false statements about independent events because it helps to identify and correct incorrect assumptions or misconceptions about probability and independence. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationship between events and their probabilities.

5. Can a counterexample be used to prove a statement?

No, a counterexample is used to disprove or refute a statement. It cannot be used to prove a statement as it only shows that the statement is false in a specific instance.