Find a relationship between 1:n

In summary, the conversation is about finding a relationship between the ratio of 1:n and the area of two equilateral triangles created by dividing a side in the ratio 1:2. The group discusses different patterns and conjectures, and ultimately realizes that the square root of the fraction of the area of the triangles is equal to the fraction of the ratio of the triangles. However, there is still a need to prove that cutting the sides of the original triangle in a ratio of 1:2 will produce a new triangle with the same ratio of sides.
c0mrade
hi guys
any help in this would be deeply appreciated
i am new here
this is not homework. its an assignment?

this is my maths ia and i need help with it
i am asked to find a conjecture

see some of you might have heard about this question.

in an equilateral triangle ABC, a line segment is drawn from each vertex to a point on the opposite side so that the segment divides the side in the ratio 1:2, creating another equilateral triangle DEF
find a relationship between 1:n (like 1:2) and the area of the two triangles

i have done all the working out. i just need a conjecture and how to prove it

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Does your name happen to be Kyle?

----

Try just drawing the smaller equilateral triangle inside the larger one. The answer should jump right out at you. If that doesn't help, then think: How long are each of the sides of the new triangle compared to the old one? What do you think this would do to the area? Why?

no actually
i have done heaps of all that stuff ABC : DEF
1) Ratio of sides of Triangle3 ABC to DEF(mm) 150 : 98  (1:4)
150/98 = 1.53
2) Ratio of sides of Triangle2 ABC to DEF(mm) 160 : 88  (1:3)
160/88 = 1.82
3) Ratio of sides of Triangle1 ABC to DEF(mm) 180 : 68  (1:2)
180/68 = 2.65
Pattern: For every 1 units of increment in the side of triangle ABC, there is a decrement in the side of triangle DEF.

Ratio of area of Triangle3 ABC to DEF(mm2) 2.34 : 1  (1:4)
Ratio of area of Triangle2 ABC to DEF(mm2) 3.30 : 1  (1:3)
Ratio of area of Triangle1 ABC to DEF(mm2) 7 : 1  (1:2)
Pattern: When tried different things, an obvious pattern that emerges is that, the square root of the fraction of the area of the triangles (ABC divided by DEF) is equal to the fraction of the of ratio of the triangles (ABC divided by DEF).just need a conjecture

What do you mean by "the ratio of the triangles" if not the ratio of the areas of the triangles? The ratio of corresponding lengths of the triangles? If that is the case you are correct but that does not solve your original problem since you haven't shown that cutting the sides of the original triangle is the ration 1:2 will produce a new triangle with the ratio of its sides to that of the original triangle is 1:2.

1. What is a 1:n relationship?

A 1:n relationship is a type of relationship in a database where one record in one table can be related to multiple records in another table. The "1" refers to the fact that there is only one record in the first table, while the "n" refers to the fact that there can be multiple records in the second table that are related to that one record in the first table.

2. How is a 1:n relationship different from a 1:1 relationship?

In a 1:1 relationship, each record in one table is related to only one record in another table. This means that for every record in the first table, there is only one corresponding record in the second table. In contrast, a 1:n relationship allows for multiple records in the second table to be related to one record in the first table.

3. What are some examples of a 1:n relationship?

One example of a 1:n relationship is a customer and their orders in an online shopping database. One customer can have multiple orders, but each order is only related to one customer. Another example is a teacher and their students in a school database. One teacher can have many students, but each student is only related to one teacher.

4. How can a 1:n relationship be represented in a database?

A 1:n relationship can be represented by using foreign keys in the tables. The primary key of the table with the "1" side of the relationship will also be a foreign key in the table with the "n" side of the relationship. This allows for the records to be linked and for the relationship to be maintained in the database.

5. What is the benefit of using a 1:n relationship in a database?

A 1:n relationship allows for data to be organized and connected in a more efficient and effective way. It also helps to reduce data redundancy, as the same information does not need to be repeated in multiple records. This can lead to a more streamlined and organized database, making it easier to retrieve and analyze data.