Why does my method for calculating this value from...?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance from a point in the middle of an equilateral triangle to the middle of one of its sides. One person suggests cutting the triangle in half and using Pythagoras' theorem to find the distance, while the other suggests finding the point where the area above and below it is equal. They also discuss the center of the triangle and how it is different from the midpoint of the line. The conversation concludes with a question about the ratio of d/s and the blue angle in the yellow triangle.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

So I have an equilateral triangle of side(s) = 3x10^-2 m

Im trying to find the value of the distance from a point directly in the middle of the triangle, to the middle of one side.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I wanted to do was, cut the triangle in half, so now I have a hypotenus, of value 3x10^-2 m, a base of half of that, 1.5x10^-2 m, and a side b which I use pythagoras to solve for.

[itex] b = ((3x10^-2)^2 - (1.5x10^-2)^2 ) ^1/2 [/itex]

which = .02598,

and now taking half of that I have the value of the distance from a point directly in the middle of the triangle, to the middle of one side.

But my book tells me I am wrong.

What they did was construct a line from one vertex of the triangle to the middle, then adjacent to that is a line l/2, and then there is another line which I'm trying to solve for, going from the middle of one side to the origin. They then used tan(30) l/2 to calculate it to .0086...

but I don't get why my method works. I'm essentially halfing the equalateral, finding the long side, and taking half of it, how doesn't that give me the value of the distance from a point directly in the middle of the triangle, to the middle of one side

Physics news on Phys.org
Your definition of center of the triangle is not the same as the book (and what most people consider). Here, it is the center of mass, is essentially what you want to find. If you think about how you cut the triangle into two right triangles, the center of mass will lie on that line where you made the cut, but it will not be the midpoint of that line.
You need to find the point where the area above the point is equal to the area below that point.

The centre of the equilateral triangle is at equal distance from all corners of the triangle. In the figure, it is denoted by s. You need to find the distance d.
upload_2017-10-28_7-27-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-28_7-27-34.png
    upload_2017-10-28_7-27-34.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 750
Likes scottdave
ehild said:
The centre of the equilateral triangle is at equal distance from all corners of the triangle. In the figure, it is denoted by s. You need to find the distance d.
View attachment 213893
I see. So d isn't = to (1/2) s+d, right?

Rijad Hadzic said:
I see. So d isn't = to (1/2) s+d, right?
No. d=(1/2)s +d means 0=(1/2)s which is false.
What is the blue angle in the yellow triangle? what is the ratio d/s?
upload_2017-10-29_5-41-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-29_5-41-24.png
    upload_2017-10-29_5-41-24.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 255
ehild said:
d=(1/2)s +d means 0=(1/2)s
At a guess, Rijad meant d=(½)(s+d), but still false.

Why does my method for calculating this value from...?

1. Why is my calculated value different from the expected value?

There could be a few reasons for this discrepancy. One possibility is that your method for calculating the value is incorrect. Double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula or equation.

2. Is my method for calculating this value the most accurate?

This depends on the context and purpose of your calculation. Some methods may be more accurate than others, but may also require more time or resources to execute. It's important to consider the trade-offs and limitations of different calculation methods.

3. Can I use a different method to calculate this value?

Yes, there may be multiple methods for calculating a value depending on the context. It's worth exploring different methods to see which one best fits your needs and produces the most accurate result.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my calculated value?

Some ways to improve the accuracy of your calculation may include using more precise data or increasing the sample size. It's also important to carefully consider any assumptions made in the calculation and adjust them if necessary.

5. Are there any limitations to my method for calculating this value?

There may be limitations to your method, such as only being applicable in certain situations or not accounting for all variables. It's important to be aware of these limitations and consider if they may impact the accuracy or relevance of your calculated value.