1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find acceleration given initial and final velocity, and displacement

1. Jul 28, 2013 #1
    1. An electron in the cathode ray tube of a television set enters a region where it accelerates uniformly from a speed of 62300 m/s to a speed of 3.86 × 106 m/s in a distance of 3.17 cm.
    What is its acceleration?

2. a = [Vf2 - Vi2] / [2d]

3. a = [(3.86 × 106)m/s2 - 62300m/s2] / [2 * 0.0317m]
    I'm getting the answer 2.35(rounded to hundredth place)*1014m/s2 , but it doesn't seem to be correct when I put that answer on my homework. Please help.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2
    Acceleration is rate of change of velocity. It's (vf-vi)/t . Don't square the velocities. And don't divide by the distance.

More applicable formula here would be
    v^2=u^2 + 2as (s is the distance)

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3
    Wouldn't you still divide by (2s) anyways based on algebra. To get (a) alone you would subtract u^2 from both sides of the equation and have v^2-u^2= 2as. Then you would divide both sides by (2s) to get (a) alone. Isn't that basically the same as the original equation I had? I'm also confused about what you mean by not squaring the velocities.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  5. Jul 29, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The result is correct.

ehild

6. Jul 29, 2013 #5
    That's what I thought too, I guess the only explanation to why I'm getting this wrong on my homework website is that I am entering it in an incorrect format.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted