1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find all 2x2 matrices X such that AX=XA for all 2x2 matrices

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all 2x2 matrices X such that AX=XA for all 2x2 matrices

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let A =
    a b
    c d

and X =
    w x
    y z

Then AX = XA ==>

aw+by=wa+xc .........(1)
    ax+bz=wb+xd .........(2)
    cw+dy=ya+zc .........(3)
    cx+dz=yb+zd .........(4)

(1) ==> by = xc, which holds for all b and c only if x=y=0.
    (2) ==> bz = wb, which hods for all b only if z=w.
    (3) ==> w=z
    (4) ==> x=y=0

So the answer is x=y=0, and w=z. That is, X = k*I with k being any real number and I is the identity matrix.

How does this look?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I see the algebra for (1) ... not the others. Perhaps you should be more explicit.
    But your result works. Does k have to be a real number?

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    Hello. Thank you for the reply. The algebra for (2)-(4) were based on the results of (1).

For (2), we have ax+bz=wb+xd; in (1) we decided that x=y=0, thus this expression becomes bz=wb
    For (3), if x=y=0, then w=z
    For (4), we have cx+dz=yb+zd=> xc=yb, thus x=y=0.

I am not too confident with what I did for part 1. "(1) ==> by = xc, which holds for all b and c only if x=y=0. "
    Alternatively, could I have also said "(1) ==> by = xc, which holds for all x and y only if b=c=0. "

5. Jan 28, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think I see what you mean. It kinda looks like you are saying that x=y=0 as a strong assertion - you got there by reason more than algebra - and that feels weak right?

In the second case, then you have just observed that for any A where b=c=0, the values of x and y in X don't matter.
    But your problem was to find the values of x and y (and the rest) that work when b and c are other numbers too.

If you want a more rigorous approach, that depends less on direct reasoning, then try simplifying each line independently, building a matrix of coefficients, then using echelon reduction to arrive at the relationships.

6. Jan 28, 2015 #5
    Ah I see what you are saying. I had forgotten the essence of the problem statement.

Regarding the rigorous approach, it seems there are too many unknowns for that to come out nicely?

7. Jan 31, 2015 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it just means the solution is not unique...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted