Find an expression for the net force of water on a dam

In summary, the net force of water on the dam can be found by integrating ρgwd with respect to d. The pressure is constantly changing at every value of d, so this integration is necessary. The formula for the net force is ρghd^2*(1/2), where ρ is the density of water, g is 9.81 meters per second, w is the width of the dam, and d is the depth of the water.
Dusty912

Homework Statement

Find the net force of water on the dam The dam has a width of w and the water is at a depth of d. So my question is, would you have to integrate ρgwd with respect to d? because the pressure is constantly changing every value of d.

Homework Equations

ρgwd
ρ is the density of water
g is 9.81 meters per second
w is width
and d is the depth of the water

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think that integrating with respect to d would yield ρghd2*(1/2)[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Dusty912 said:
The dam has a width of w and the water is at a depth of d. So my question is, would you have to integrate ρgwd with respect to d? because the pressure is constantly changing every value of d.
Sounds reasonable. Try it and show your attempt.

Likes Bystander
I see that you've edited in your attempt. Good.

Dusty912 said:
I would think that integrating with respect to d would yield ρghd2*(1/2)

Where did the h come from? And what happened to the width?

sorry that h is supposed to be a w, and its a simple integration so I think I got it

Dusty912 said:
sorry that h is supposed to be a w, and its a simple integration so I think I got it
Okay! And yes, you got it :smile:

thanks for the help! nailed the test

1. What factors affect the net force of water on a dam?

The net force of water on a dam is affected by the velocity of the water, the surface area of the dam, the density of the water, and the angle at which the water hits the dam.

2. How can I calculate the net force of water on a dam?

The net force of water on a dam can be calculated using the formula F = ρAv², where ρ is the density of the water, A is the surface area of the dam, and v is the velocity of the water.

3. What is the direction of the net force of water on a dam?

The direction of the net force of water on a dam depends on the angle at which the water hits the dam. If the water hits the dam perpendicularly, the net force will be in the opposite direction of the flow of water. If the water hits the dam at an angle, the net force will have both horizontal and vertical components.

4. How does the net force of water on a dam affect the structure?

The net force of water on a dam can put stress on the structure, causing it to bend or deform. This is why dams are designed to withstand a certain amount of force and have reinforcements to prevent damage.

5. Can the net force of water on a dam be too strong?

Yes, if the net force of water on a dam exceeds the structural capacity, it can cause the dam to fail. This is why proper design and maintenance of dams is crucial in ensuring their safety and stability.