Calculating Torque on a Dam Due to Water

In summary: The other terms are greater than the average force times the average lever arm because the lever arm increases as we move up the dam, that is, the force on a slab is not constant. So, it's the combination of the increasing lever arm and the non-constant force that leads to the sum being greater than the average force times the average lever arm.In summary, the torque on the dam due to the water about an axis at ground level is not simply the average force due to water pressure times the middle depth. Instead, it is a combination of the increasing lever arm and the non-constant force that leads to a total torque that is greater than the average force times the average lever arm. This is demonstrated by calculating the torque
bigplanet401

Homework Statement

A body of water of depth D sits behind a vertical dam. The water and dam are in static equilibrium. Calculate the torque on the dam due to the water about an axis at ground level (that is, a depth D below the surface of the water).

Homework Equations

N (torque) = r x F

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing that the force on the dam due to the water acts at a point D/2 above ground since the vertical coordinate of the center of mass of the water would be this high. Then the torque is just DF/2.

But consider the following argument. The force on the dam varies linearly with depth. Wouldn't this mean that I would get the same answer if I divided the water into N "slabs" (like a stack of books) and calculated the contribution to the torque from each slab, each with its own moment arm?

I tried the following: divide the water into N "slabs" of thickness D/N. The height of the ith slab is Di/N. The force on the dam from this slab is F(1 - i/N), where the maximum force (at the bottom of the dam) is F. Then the total torque is

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^N \; \frac{FDi}{N} \left( 1 - \frac{i}{N} \right)
[/tex]

But if I try to work out the sum and take the limit as N -> infinity, the sum becomes infinite. Is it just my math, or is this not the right argument? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
As you suggest, your answer of DF/2 is not correct.

For your summation approach, note that the force on a slab is due to fluid pressure acting on the slab. How does the force on a slab depend on the area of the slab? What happens to the areas of the slabs as N increases? You need to take that into account.

TSny said:
As you suggest, your answer of DF/2 is not correct.

For your summation approach, note that the force on a slab is due to fluid pressure acting on the slab. How does the force on a slab depend on the area of the slab? What happens to the areas of the slabs as N increases? You need to take that into account.

Thanks for the hints. After thinking about it more, I came up with the following sum for the torque:

[tex]
N = \sum_{i=1}^N \; \left(D - \frac{Di}{N} \right) \rho W g \frac{D}{N} \frac{Di}{N}
[/tex]

where D is the depth of the water, N is the number of slabs (each of thickness D/N), W is the width of the dam, rho is the density of water, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. I did the sum, took the large-N limit, and got

[tex]
N = \frac{D^3 \rho W g}{6}
[/tex]

Again, my math could be wrong, but if this result is correct, it really challenges my intuition. Why isn't the torque on the dam just the average force due to water pressure times the "middle depth", D/2? The force varies linearly with depth, so why isn't the total torque just (average moment arm) x (average force) = FD/2?

bigplanet401 said:
N = \sum_{i=1}^N \; \left(D - \frac{Di}{N} \right) \rho W g \frac{D}{N} \frac{Di}{N}
[/tex]

where D is the depth of the water, N is the number of slabs (each of thickness D/N), W is the width of the dam, rho is the density of water, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. I did the sum, took the large-N limit, and got

[tex]
N = \frac{D^3 \rho W g}{6}
[/tex]

That looks like the correct result, but it's a little confusing to use N for both the torque and the number of slabs.

Again, my math could be wrong, but if this result is correct, it really challenges my intuition. Why isn't the torque on the dam just the average force due to water pressure times the "middle depth", D/2? The force varies linearly with depth, so why isn't the total torque just (average moment arm) x (average force) = FD/2?

Let Fi be the force on the ith slab and Li the moment arm of the ith slab. Let N be the number of slabs and assume N is an even number. Then, for large N the net torque is (approximately)

Torque = F1L1 + ⋅⋅⋅ + FN/2LN/2 +⋅⋅⋅ + FNLN .

Note that the one term FN/2LN/2 is essentially the average force times the average lever arm. So, it's clear that the total sum is greater than the average force times the average lever arm.

FN/2LN/2 is just the torque on the one slab in the middle.

Last edited:

1. What is torque and how is it related to dams?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of dams, torque is the force that is exerted on the structure due to the weight and pressure of the water pushing against it.

2. How is the torque on a dam calculated?

The torque on a dam can be calculated by multiplying the force of the water by the distance from the center of the dam to the point where the force is applied. This distance is known as the lever arm and is typically measured in meters.

3. What factors affect the torque on a dam?

The torque on a dam is affected by several factors, including the height and volume of the water, the shape and size of the dam, and the materials used to construct it. Other factors such as wind and seismic activity can also contribute to the torque on a dam.

4. How does the torque on a dam affect its stability?

The torque on a dam can have a significant impact on its stability. If the torque is too high, it can cause the dam to rotate or tilt, potentially leading to structural damage or failure. Engineers must carefully calculate and design dams to withstand the torque caused by the water and any other external forces.

5. Can the torque on a dam be controlled?

Yes, the torque on a dam can be controlled through various design and engineering strategies. These may include adjusting the shape and size of the dam, reinforcing the structure with additional materials, or implementing systems such as spillways and gates to release excess water and reduce pressure on the dam. Regular maintenance and monitoring are also crucial for managing the torque on a dam.