What is the formula for finding angle theta without accounting for height?

• MHB
  • Thread starter xyz_1965
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Theta
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of theta (t) using the tangent function and the inverse tangent function. It is noted that the given equation is "not to scale" and the conversation ends with addressing a mistake in the approach, which was not accounting for the height of the person.
xyz_1965
AngleofElevationEx1a.png.cf.png

Here is my set up.

Let t = theta for short

tan(t) = 324/550

arctan(tan t) = arctan(324/550)

t = arctan(324/550)

Correct thus far?

Note: What does "not to scale" mean in other words?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$\tan{\theta} = \dfrac{324-1.6}{550}$

skeeter said:
$\tan{\theta} = \dfrac{324-1.6}{550}$

What is wrong with my approach?

xyz_1965 said:
What is wrong with my approach?

You aren't accounting for the height of the person.

MarkFL said:
You aren't accounting for the height of the person.

Ok. I totally forgot about the height of the person.

tan (theta) = (height of tower - height of person)/(distance between person and the base of the tower). This will help me when I face a similar problem again.

1. What is the formula for finding angle theta without accounting for height?

The formula for finding angle theta without accounting for height is theta = tan^-1 (opposite/adjacent). This is also known as the inverse tangent function.

2. How does the formula for finding angle theta without accounting for height work?

The formula works by using the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side in a right triangle. The inverse tangent function then calculates the angle theta based on this ratio.

3. Can the formula for finding angle theta without accounting for height be used for any type of triangle?

No, this formula can only be used for right triangles. For other types of triangles, different formulas and methods are needed to find the angle theta.

4. What are the units for the angle theta when using the formula without accounting for height?

The angle theta is typically measured in degrees or radians, depending on the unit used for the opposite and adjacent sides in the formula.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding angle theta without accounting for height?

Yes, this formula only works for right triangles and does not take into account the height of the triangle. It also assumes that the triangle is on a flat surface and not on a curved surface.