[Special Relativity] - Finding Angle θ as Measured in Frame S

In summary, the attempted solution after researching the contents available on Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffith states that the angle of the rod will be the angle measured in frame ##S##.
Athenian
Homework Statement
Frame ##S'## moves with velocity ##V## in the ##x##-direction relative to frame ##S##. A rod in the frame ##S'## lying on the ##x'-y'## plane makes an angle ##\theta '## with respect to the forward direction of motion.
What is the angle ##\theta## as measured in ##S##?
Relevant Equations
Refer to the solution below: ##\rightarrow##
Below is the attempted solution after researching the contents available on Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffith.

To begin with, I defined the rod as having a length of ##l'## at rest in frame ##S'##. Thus, in frame ##S'##, the height of the rod is ##l' sin(\theta ')## and its horizontal projection will similarly be ##l' cos(\theta ')##.

While the height of the rod is not affected if seen by an observer from frame ##S##, the horizontal projection is - on the other hand - Lorentz contracted to ##\frac{1}{\gamma} l' cos(\theta ')##.

Thus, my conclusion is simple. The angle will therefore be:
$$tan \theta = \frac{l' sin(\theta ')}{\frac{1}{\gamma} l' cos(\theta')} = \gamma tan(\theta ') \Longrightarrow \theta = arctan(\gamma \tan(\theta '))$$

OR

$$tan \theta = \frac{tan (\theta ')}{\sqrt{1- v^2/c^2}} \Longrightarrow \theta = arctan(\frac{tan (\theta ')}{\sqrt{1- v^2/c^2}})$$

Thus, the above angle is the angle of the rod measured in frame ##S##. What does everybody think of the answer? What confuses me the most regarding the above-attempted solution is do I need to do anything about the ##x' -y'## part of the question? Or, can I conveniently disregard that piece of information? For some reason, I feel like the rod lying on the ##x'-y'## plane in the frame ##S'## plays a role in solving for the question.

Any help or guidance on the matter would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you all for your kind assistance!

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Likes Athenian
Athenian said:
What confuses me the most regarding the above-attempted solution is do I need to do anything about the ##x' -y'## part of the question? Or, can I conveniently disregard that piece of information? For some reason, I feel like the rod lying on the ##x'-y'## plane in the frame ##S'## plays a role in solving for the question.

It's true that the rod could be lying in any other plane, as long as the angle is measured with respect to the direction of motion. Specifying the x'-y' plane was just to give you something definite to work with.

Likes Athenian
PeroK said:
It's true that the rod could be lying in any other plane, as long as the angle is measured with respect to the direction of motion. Specifying the x'-y' plane was just to give you something definite to work with.

Great! Thank you very much for the confirmation as well as the explanation!

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

2. How does special relativity relate to finding angle θ as measured in frame S?

Special relativity helps us understand how different observers in different frames of reference will measure angles differently due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is the equation for finding angle θ in frame S?

The equation for finding angle θ in frame S is θ = tan^-1 (v/c), where v is the velocity of the moving object and c is the speed of light.

4. Why is it important to consider angle θ in special relativity?

Angle θ is important in special relativity because it helps us understand how the perceived shape and orientation of objects can be distorted when observed from different frames of reference at high speeds.

5. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has been experimentally proven and is applied in many modern technologies, such as GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. Its principles also have practical applications in fields like astronomy, aviation, and telecommunications.