Find angular momentum outcomes and their probabilities

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the probabilities for possible outcomes in a quantum system, specifically in terms of angular momentum. The conversation discusses using the L operator to calculate the expected value of angular momentum, but notes that this does not give the probabilities for each value. The conversation then moves on to discussing eigenfunctions of the L operator and how they are not related to the given wave function. Finally, there is a discussion about calculating the eigenfunctions and how they form a complete orthogonal set, allowing for the expression of any function as a linear combination of eigenfunctions.
James_The_Ern

Homework Statement

Basically, I'm dealing with part d) in this document: https://s3.amazonaws.com/iedu-attachments-message/b663095a5021cb6aee55657de728a8d7_bfbe0ba9d2f10f8ac9ef9d049934c1da.jpg. I have found that the angular momentum only depends on spatial coordinate and it doesn't on time. Is explanation that the operator itself has a derivative of angle but not time sufficient? Or should I state that if I take the squared wavefunction, e^(-iEt/h_bar) term becomes 1?

Back to the question. I've been doing a lot of research online and I struggle to find how I should approach this problem in terms of finding possible outcomes and their probabilities. Don't know where to start, actually. Looking at part e), I assume I have to take particular energy values, since energy is quantized, but which ones? And how many? And how do I find the probabilities?

Homework Equations

L = ih d/dx, I took this operator for the whole superposition state.

The Attempt at a Solution

I only applied the operator to the wave function. I also noticed that this wave function is probably not an eigenfunction of L, since the derivative doesn't get me a Lf = mf relationship, which is also confusing. Really need some clear help. Would be appreciated a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
That link won't open for me. Can you post your question explicitly?

PeroK said:
That link won't open for me. Can you post your question explicitly?

Not sure how to write the functions via this forum properly, so I just uploaded the image to another host. http://i64.tinypic.com/dg12wz.jpg
Does that work? Sorry for the inconvenience.

I assume you can calculate the expected value of angular momentum? But that isn't generally enough to give you the probability of each value

What about eigenfunctions of the AM operator. Can you calculate those?

PeroK said:
I assume you can calculate the expected value of angular momentum? But that isn't generally enough to give you the probability of each value

What about eigenfunctions of the AM operator. Can you calculate those?

I also thought about the expectation value, but you're right, this has nothing to do with the probabilities, just the average angular momentum value.

Right, so what I did was applying L operator to the wave function which gave me (with the dependence on time term):

-ħ/√π (-½ ei(φ-Et/ħ) - ½ ei(5φ-Et/ħ) + 2ie-iEt/ħsin(2φ)). Now, it doesn't seem like an eigenfunction, because there's sin term now instead of initial cos. So I can't find an eigenvalue. Or am I doing a mistake somewhere?

James_The_Ern said:
I also thought about the expectation value, but you're right, this has nothing to do with the probabilities, just the average angular momentum value.

Right, so what I did was applying L operator to the wave function which gave me (with the dependence on time term):

-ħ/√π (-½ ei(φ-Et/ħ) - ½ ei(5φ-Et/ħ) + 2ie-iEt/ħsin(2φ)). Now, it doesn't seem like an eigenfunction, because there's sin term now instead of initial cos. So I can't find an eigenvalue. Or am I doing a mistake somewhere?

Finding eigenfunctions of an operator doesn't relate to the wave function in question. It's a general eigenvalue problem. Given the number of marks you may be expected to know these? Otherwise, they are not too hard to calculate. They satisfy

##Lf = \lambda f##

PeroK said:
Finding eigenfunctions of an operator doesn't relate to the wave function in question. It's a general eigenvalue problem. Given the number of marks you may be expected to know these? Otherwise, they are not too hard to calculate. They satisfy

##Lf = \lambda f##

I don't quite grasp what you mean. Why don't they relate to the wave function? If we use this relationship of Lf = λf, I basically plugged in f as a wave function given and I can see that no λ fits here. Sorry for such dumb questions, it's just that I don't get a useful clue where to start and what to do, where my mistakes are.

James_The_Ern said:
I don't quite grasp what you mean. Why don't they relate to the wave function? If we use this relationship of Lf = λf, I basically plugged in f as a wave function given and I can see that no λ fits here. Sorry for such dumb questions, it's just that I don't get a useful clue where to start and what to do, where my mistakes are.

An operator is an operator and has its own eigenfunctions, independent of the state of the system.

The AM operator has a set of eigenfunctions in this system which you can calculate as a general eigenvalue problem.

Then, it's often a good idea to express your wavefuction in terms of the eigenfunctions of the operator you are interested in.

Hint: In this case you have been given the wave function almost in terms of AM eigenfunctions. So, there is not much to do.

PS what do you have for the answer to part c)?

I got 1/√π (½ ei(φ - Et/ħ) - ½ e-iEt/ħcos(2φ) + ½ ei(5φ - Et/ħ))

James_The_Ern said:
I got 1/√π (½ ei(φ - Et/ħ) - ½ e-iEt/ħcos(2φ) + ½ ei(5φ - Et/ħ))

You seem to have assumed that those are all eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. How did you know that? In any case, you should have different values for ##E## in each case.

Last edited:
So should I take each of the three terms separately and see if they are eigenfunctions? Then only two of them are. So, let's say if one term isn't an eigenfunction of an angular operator, does that mean that it doesn't have an angular momentum and I'm only considering two of the other functions in terms of their values and probabilities?

James_The_Ern said:
So should I take each of the three terms separately and see if they are eigenfunctions? Then only two of them are. So, let's say if one term isn't an eigenfunction of an angular operator, does that mean that it doesn't have an angular momentum and I'm only considering two of the other functions in terms of their values and probabilities?
You need to take a step back and learn more about eigenfunctions. The eigenfunctions of the operator of an observable form a complete orthogonal set. That means every function can be expressed as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions.

In this case, you were given the wave function as a linear combination of energy eigenfunctions. If you hadn't been given this you would have needed to do some work to express your wavefuction in this form.

Now, the eigenfunctions of the AM operator do not quite coincide with energy eigenfunctions. There's a bit of theory here about degeneracy and commuting operators that I won't go into. But you should learn this at some point.

The important point is that every function can be expressed as a linear combination of AM eigenfunctions.

So, you do have a bit of work to do to express your wave function in eigenfunctions of the AM operator.

To help you out note that:

##2\cos(2\phi) = e^{2i\phi} + e^{-2i\phi}##

Thanks a lot, I also thought there should be some relationship for it! That makes sense. So, let's say I'm able to find an eigenvalue, how do I move from here to probabilities? Do you have any clue? It's easy to find the expectation value, but not separate probability values.

James_The_Ern said:
Thanks a lot, I also thought there should be some relationship for it! That makes sense. So, let's say I'm able to find an eigenvalue, how do I move from here to probabilities? Do you have any clue? It's easy to find the expectation value, but not separate probability values.

The coefficient of each energy (or AM) eigenfunction determines the probability of getting the relevant eigenvalue as a measurement. That's why you need a normalised wave function.

The probability is the modulus squared of the relevant coefficient.

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is important because it helps us understand how objects move in circular or rotational paths, and plays a crucial role in many physical phenomena such as planetary motion, gyroscopic stability, and the behavior of spinning objects.

2. How do you calculate angular momentum?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotation) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it rotates). The formula is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

3. Can you explain the concept of "conservation of angular momentum"?

Conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the angular momentum of an object will not change unless an external force causes it to rotate faster or slower, or change its direction of rotation.

4. How can you find the possible outcomes and their probabilities for a given angular momentum system?

To find the possible outcomes and their probabilities for a given angular momentum system, you can use the principles of quantum mechanics. The allowed values of angular momentum are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. The probabilities of these values occurring can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the Schrödinger equation.

5. What factors can affect the outcome and probability of an angular momentum system?

The outcome and probability of an angular momentum system can be affected by various factors such as the initial conditions of the system, external forces or torques acting on the system, and the properties of the objects involved (such as their mass, shape, and moment of inertia). Additionally, in quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle states that there is a limit to how precisely we can measure both the angular momentum and its corresponding position, so this can also affect the outcome and probability of a system.