Find b so g(x) = 1-x² has an inverse on [b,2]

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
t_n_p
Messages
593
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let g:[b,2] -> R where g(x) = 1-x2. If b is the smallest real value such that g has an inverse function, find b and g inverse

The Attempt at a Solution



I can find the inverse function easily, but I don't understand how I go about finding b.

According to the book, answer is b=0
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would just look at the graph. Start by graphing g(x) = 1-x2 with the restriction g:[-∞,2] -> R, and then look to see how much of the right portion of the graph is needed to make g(x) one-to-one.
 
right that makes sense!

In other words you can only take the inverse of a function f, if the original function f is one-to-one.

got it.