1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving each nonzero element of a subfield of C has an inverse

1. Sep 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let S={p+qα+rα2 : p, q, r [itex]\in \mathbb{Q}[/itex]}, where α=[itex]\sqrt[3]{2}[/itex]. Then S is a subfield of [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]. Prove that each nonzero element of S has a multiplicative inverse in S.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let p, q, r[itex]\in\mathbb{Q}[/itex] such that not all of p, q, r are zero. If each nonzero element of S has a multiplicative inverse in S, then there are rational numbers a, b, c so that

(p+qα+rα2)(a+bα+cα2)=1

Expanding and using the fact that α3=2 and α4=2α, we get:

(pa+2qc+2rb)+α(pb+qa+2rc)+α2(pc+qb+ra)=1

Since 1, α, and α2 are linearly independent we may equate coefficients to give a system of equations:

pa+2qc+2rb=1
    pb+qa+2rc=0
    pc+qb+ra=0

Now to finish the problem I want to show that this system always has a solution in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]. I tried using Cramer's rule (i.e. showing the determinant of the matrix whose entries are the coefficients of p, q, r is equal to zero only if p=q=r=0), but I had no luck and it just turned into a mess. Likewise, back substitution was a mess. Can anyone give me a hand on how to complete this problem?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##x, y \in S## have multiplicative inverses in ##S## and if ##x + y \neq 0##, can you prove that ##x+y## has a multiplicative inverse in ##S##? Can you prove that ##1, \alpha, \alpha^2## all have multiplicative inverses in ##S##?

4. Sep 12, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the quick response! I think I see what you're getting at. If I can prove what you wrote, then since each element of S is a linear combination of 1, α, and α2 whose coefficients are in [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex], it follows that each element of S has an inverse in S. Unfortunately I really am not sure how to show that if [itex]x, y, x^{-1}, y^{-1} \in S[/itex] with [itex] x \ne y [/itex], then [itex] (x+y)^{-1} \in S[/itex]. I tried to solve the equation [itex](x+y)(ax^{-1}+bx^{-1})=1[/itex] for a and b, but that didn't get me anywhere, and I'm not sure what else to try. Is it possible for you to give me a small hint to get me going in the right direction?

Thanks again.

5. Sep 13, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Was that really the original statement of the problem? Saying "S is a subfield of [itex]mathbb{C}[/itex]. Prove that each nonzero element of S has a multiplicative inverse in S" seems very strange! A subfield is, by definition, a field so each non-zero element must have a multiplicative inverse. It would make more sense to first define S then ask to show that every nonzero element has a multiplicative inverse, as part of proving that S is a subfield.

6. Sep 13, 2014 #5
    You're correct, what I wrote is a strange problem statement. It was my fault. The full problem was to show S is a subfield of C. However, I knew how to prove all of the other field axioms hold for S, so I changed the problem statement. As you correctly pointed out, I didn't change it very well. Would it be better if I wrote "confirm that each nonzero element of S has an identity"? Or should I just have written up the actual problem statement but mentioned I only need help proving the existence of multiplicative inverses?

7. Sep 13, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Many of these issues are dealt with in
    http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...proof-that-the-algebraic-numbers-form-a-field

If you Google 'algebraic numbers' or 'algebraic number fields' you will encounter loads of material on your topic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted