Find Change in height in a Manometer

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding a jet of liquid hitting a plate, and the calculations involved in determining the velocity and pressure in the situation. The solution involves using Bernoulli's equation and the equation of hydrostatic pressure, as well as the discharge equation to find the necessary values.
nick.falconer

Homework Statement

Question 5

FluidsAssignment-Question5.jpg

Figure 5.1
Figure 5.1 shows a nozzle with a jet of liquid 30 mm in diameter with a density of 850 kg.m-3
hitting a plate that has hole of 10 mm diameter in it. The jet of water requires a force of 50 N to
hold it in place.
(a) Assuming frictionless flow and an even distribution of flow up and down the plate for
deflected water, calculate the velocity of the water hitting the plate.
[10 marks]
(b) The manometer shown is filled with mercury with a density of 13,570 kg.m-3. calculate
the value of h that will be measured in this situation. (If you have not answered part (a)
then use a velocity of 10 m.s-1.)
[10 marks]

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Equation
P1 + pgh1 + 1/2u12 = P2 + pgh2 + 1/2u22

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked out that the velocity in part a is 8.601 m/s

But I'm having trouble with part b.

Using Bernoulli's Equation I can remove the pgh part as I can set the datum in the middle causing these to go to zero. Also knowing that the force on the plate is 50N then using P=F/A I can work out that P2 = 70.7kPa. That is as far as I can get. I believe that the P1 and P2 can't be equal otherwise the height difference in the manometer will be zero. So can I assume that the velocity is constant in the two parts? Because if so I believe I can work it out from there, otherwise I'm stumped.

Thanks
Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the equation of hydrostatic/manometric pressure:

dP = pgdy
integrating
P = P0 + pgh

You already know the pressure in both points in the tube (one on the left necessarily has the higher pressure), just solve for h.

How do I get the pressure on the left?

Thanks

You've got the velocity on both sides right? You know the gravitational potential energy remains constant, so cross those terms out of bernoulli's equation. and solve for P1.

If you don't have the velocity on the left already, use the discharge equation ("volume goes in = volume goes out"): v1S1 = v2S2. Where S1 and S2 are the cross sections of the tube in point 1 and point 2, v is the velocity in respective points. Your cross sections are piR^2, and you've got the diameter to both tubes, so that's how you'd find v1 in case you haven't calculated it yet.

Last edited:

Hello Nick, it seems like you have made some good progress on part a of the question. For part b, you are correct in using Bernoulli's equation to solve for the height difference in the manometer. However, you should also consider the pressure at point 1 (P1) in the manometer. Since the density of mercury is much higher than water, the pressure at point 1 will be much greater than the pressure at point 2 (P2). This pressure difference will cause the mercury to rise in the manometer, giving a non-zero height difference. Therefore, you can use the equation P1 + pgh1 + 1/2u12 = P2 + pgh2 + 1/2u22 to solve for the height difference, h.

Additionally, it is important to note that the velocity is not constant in the two parts. The velocity at point 1 (u1) will be higher than the velocity at point 2 (u2) due to the decrease in cross-sectional area of the nozzle. This change in velocity will also affect the pressure at each point, leading to a non-zero height difference in the manometer.

I hope this helps you in solving part b of the question. Good luck!

1. What is a manometer?

A manometer is a scientific instrument used to measure pressure, typically of a gas. It consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, with one end connected to the source of pressure and the other end open to the atmosphere. The difference in liquid levels in the two arms of the tube indicates the pressure being measured.

2. How does a manometer measure changes in height?

A manometer measures changes in height by using the difference in liquid levels in the two arms of the U-shaped tube. As pressure is applied to one end of the tube, the liquid will rise in that arm and decrease in the other, creating a difference in height that can be measured.

3. What is the formula for finding change in height in a manometer?

The formula for finding change in height in a manometer is: change in height = pressure difference / (density of liquid x gravitational constant). This formula takes into account the pressure difference between the two arms of the tube and the properties of the liquid being used.

4. What are some common uses for a manometer?

Manometers are commonly used in various industries, such as HVAC, to measure and monitor gas pressure in systems. They are also used in laboratory experiments to measure the pressure of gases in chemical reactions. Additionally, manometers can be used in medical settings to measure blood pressure.

5. How accurate are manometers?

The accuracy of a manometer will depend on several factors, such as the quality of the instrument, the properties of the liquid being used, and the skill of the person using it. However, manometers are generally considered to be a precise and reliable way to measure pressure changes.