Fluid Manometer Question: Determining Height and Pressure

In summary, the manometer contains water and kerosene. The initial height with both ends of the U-tube open is 20 mm. In part (i), the height h is determined to be 91.1 mm. In part (ii), a gauge pressure of 98 Pa is applied to the right end of the U-tube, causing the total length of the kerosene column to remain constant while the height H0 changes. The new value of H0 is not provided, but is shown to change in the lecturer's solution.
LauraMorrison

Homework Statement

The manometer illustrated in Fig. Q2 contains water and kerosene (specific
gravity of 0.82) as indicated. With both ends of the U-tube open the height
H0 =20 mm.
(i) Determine the height, h , when both ends of the tube are open. [4]
(ii) Determine the new value of H0 when a gauge pressure of 98 Pa is
applied to the right end of the U-tube. [6]

2. The attempt at a solution

I can do part (a), getting an answer of 91.1mm.

However, I am stuck on part (b).. I assume I cannot keep h constant and see the variation in Ho with the added pressure?

I am unsure how to work out the two unknowns h and Ho with only the one equation.

Attachments

• u-tube manometer.jpg
    u-tube manometer.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,572
Physics news on Phys.org
In part (i), you determined h, so, from the figure, you now know that total length of the kerosene column. This doesn't change in part (ii).

Are you sure h doesn't change? In my lecturers solutions it does change.. I don't really understand his solutions but maybe you can explain?

I have attached his solution.

Attachments

• manometersolution.docx
    36.9 KB · Views: 848
LauraMorrison said:
Are you sure h doesn't change? In my lecturers solutions it does change.. I don't really understand his solutions but maybe you can explain?

I have attached his solution.

I didn't say h doesn't change. I said that the total length of the kerosene column doesn't change.

Chet

Oh I see, sorry I didn't read that carefully enough. Thank you I get it now! :)

Related to Fluid Manometer Question: Determining Height and Pressure

What is a fluid manometer?

A fluid manometer is a device used to measure pressure by comparing the difference in height between two columns of liquid. It consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, with one end connected to a source of pressure and the other open to the atmosphere.

How does a fluid manometer work?

A fluid manometer operates on the principle of hydrostatic pressure, which states that pressure at any point in a fluid is equal in all directions. When the pressure in the source increases, it will push down on the liquid in one side of the U-tube, causing it to rise in the other side. The difference in height between the two sides can then be used to calculate the pressure difference.

What are the advantages of using a fluid manometer?

One advantage of a fluid manometer is its simplicity and low cost, making it a popular choice for measuring pressure in various applications. It is also able to measure both positive and negative pressures, and is not affected by changes in temperature.

What are some common uses for a fluid manometer?

A fluid manometer is commonly used in HVAC systems to measure air flow and pressure, in medical settings to measure blood pressure, and in laboratory experiments to measure small pressure differences. It is also used in industrial applications such as monitoring gas and liquid pipelines.

What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when using a fluid manometer?

It is important to handle the liquid in a fluid manometer with caution, as some liquids can be hazardous if ingested or come into contact with skin. When working with pressurized systems, always follow proper safety protocols to avoid injury. It is also important to regularly check and calibrate the manometer to ensure accurate measurements.