Find Coefficient of Friction for Homogeneous Cube on Floor/Wall

  • Thread starter Thread starter matematikuvol
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mechanics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
matematikuvol
Messages
190
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Homogeneous cube with one edge lying on the floor and the other on a smooth vertical wall. The underside of cube with a horizontal surface makes angle of
π6
.What is the value to the coefficient of friction between the cube and the floor to cube remain in balance.


Homework Equations


∑F=0

∑M=0

M=rF

M is momentum of force.


The Attempt at a Solution


In static case

∑F=0

∑M=0

I need help to write this equation from the problem statement. I don't have idea.
Because cube is homogenuous the forces are equal from all parts I suppose.

. Do you have any idea? I think this goes in one line but it is hard for me.
Tnx for your answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi matematikuvol! :smile:
matematikuvol said:
Homogeneous cube with one edge lying on the floor and the other on a smooth vertical wall. The underside of cube with a horizontal surface makes angle of π/6.
What is the value to the coefficient of friction between the cube and the floor to cube remain in balance.
…
I need help to write this equation from the problem statement. I don't have idea.
Because cube is homogenuous the forces are equal from all parts I suppose.

homogeneous simply means that (in this case) the weight goes through the centre of the cube

draw yourself a free body diagram …

the main problem in this case is to find the horizontal distance between the centre and the bottom edge! :smile:​
 
Last edited: