1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Domain Of: √(log1/5(1/Sin5x))

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    √(log1/5(1/Sin5x))

Log to the base 1/5*(1/Sin5x)

FIND THE DOMAIN

I have an answer to this solution, I Just need some help with understanding it :(... and also could someone tell me if info is missing.

f(x) = √(log1/5(1/Sin5x))

Restrictions:

1/sin5x ǂ 0

sin5x ǂ 0

5x = ∏n
    xǂ (∏n)/5

√(log1/5(1/Sin5x)) ≥ 0
    (square both side)
    (log1/5(1/Sin5x)) ≥ 0

1/sin5x ≤ 1

Sin5x ≥ 1

**** Sin M ≤ 1 ***** (this is refferring to the slope)

Sin5x = Sin(∏/2 + 2∏n)

5x = = ∏/2 + 2∏n
    x = ∏/10 + 2∏n/5

ans: XE(∏/10 + 2∏n/5]

anyways i would appreciate if some one could help me understand this solution better. <3

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume you mean log base 1/5:
    [tex]\sqrt{log_{1/5}(\frac{1}{sin(5x)})}[/tex]
    Yes, the sin(5x) in the denominator cannot be 0. Sine sin(x) is 0 for x any multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex], that means 5x cannot be as multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex]:[itex]x\ne n\pi/5[/itex] for any integer n, as you say.

But also, logarithm is only defined for positive numbers so in addition to [itex]sin(5)\ne 0[/itex], we must have sin(5x)> 0. [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is positive for [itex]0< x\le \pi[/itex], [itex]2\pi< x< 3\pi[/itex], etc. We can write that as [itex]2n\pi< x< (2n1)\pi[/itex] for any integer n.

I don't know why you are looking at "[itex]\sqrt{log_{1/5}(1/sin(5x)}\ge 0[/itex]". That is a statement about the value or range of the function and has nothing to do with the domain. Rather, what is important is that in order that a square root exist, the argument must be non-negative. And [itex]\log(x)\ge 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]x\ge 1[/itex]. So we must have [itex]log_{1/5}(1/sin(5x))\ge 1[/itex] which means that we must have [itex]1/sin(5x)\ge 1/5[/tex] which, since we have already required that it be positive, is the same as [itex]5\ge sin(5x)[/itex]. For what x is that true?

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    Yea my bad D:
    This is clear.
    When
    5≥sin5x

For all X values, Sin5x will be less than 5..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook