Find electric potential of field inside and outside nucleus

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
vbrasic
Messages
71
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Derive following expression for the electrostatic potential energy of an electron in the field of a finite nucleus of charge, ##+Ze##, and radius, ##R=r_0A^{1/3}##, where ##r_0## is a constant. (Charge density is constant.)

The potential we are asked to derive is:
$$
V(r) = \begin{cases}
\frac{-Ze^2}{r} & \text{if } r>R\\
\frac{Ze^2}{R}(\frac{r^2}{2R^2}-\frac{3}{2}) & \text{if } r<R
\end{cases}.
$$

Homework Equations


Gauss' law.

The Attempt at a Solution


Naturally, for ##r>R##, we approximate the nucleus as being point-like, with electric field of magnitude, $$\frac{Ze}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2}.$$ I'm not sure how to find potential, though physical intuition suggests it's just the standard Coulomb potential.

However, inside the nucleus we use Gauss' law. We have that the charge enclosed is ##Q_{enc}=Ze\frac{r^3}{R^3}##, for a uniform charge density. Then using Gauss' law, we have, $$\int |E|da=Ze\frac{r^3}{R^3\epsilon_0}\rightarrow |E|=Ze\frac{r}{4\pi\epsilon_0R^3}$$ directed radially, such that, $$E=Ze\frac{r}{4\pi\epsilon_0R^3}\hat{r}.$$ I'm not sure how to get potential from here, or exactly what integral I'm supposed to use to get the derived potential above.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Same integral as outside the sphere ... :rolleyes:
And at R the potential has to be continuous.
 
BvU said:
Same integral as outside the sphere ... :rolleyes:
And at R the potential has to be continuous.
So essentially all I have to do is first integrate from infinity to R, and then from R to r?
 
I am surprised you have to ask. Yes ! Exactly !