Find Flux Across Portion of Sphere in 3 Ways

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
zcd
Messages
197
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the flux of field [tex]\mathbf{F}=x\mathbf{i}+y\mathbf{j}+z\mathbf{k}[/tex] across the portion of the sphere [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}=4[/tex] in the first octant in the direction away from the origin in three ways:

a. using formula for flux when sphere is a level surface
b. using formula for flux when sphere is a parametric surface
c. using Stoke's theorem

Homework Equations


[tex]S=\iint \limits_{R}\frac{|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f\cdot\hat{p}|}dA[/tex]

[tex]Flux=\iint \limits_{S} \mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n} d\sigma=\iiint \limits_{V}\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}dV[/tex]

Stoke's theorem (I thought Stoke's theorem involved circulation and curl)?
[tex]\oint \limits_{C} \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{r}=\iint \limits_{S}\nabla\times\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n}d\sigma[/tex]

Divergence theorem (we haven't learned this yet but I think it will apply better than stoke's theorem for part c)
[tex]\iint \limits_{S}\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n}d\sigma=\iiint \limits_{D} \nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}dV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


for part a:
[tex]Flux=\iint \limits_{S} \mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n} d\sigma=\iiint \limits_{V}\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}dV[/tex]
the gradient vector is always perpendicular to a surface f(x,y,z)=c, so [tex]\mathbf{n}=\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}[/tex]
this should lead to [tex]\iint \limits_{S} \frac{(\mathbf{F}\cdot\nabla f)|\nabla f|}{|\nabla f||\nabla f\cdot\hat{p}|}dA[/tex]
after some simplifying and conversion to polar coordinates...
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2} r^{3}+r\sqrt{4-r^{2}}dr d\theta=...=\frac{40\pi}{3}[/tex]

I temporarily skipped part b cause of the work involved for finding [tex]d\sigma=|\frac{\partial{\mathbf{r}}}{\partial{\phi}}\times\frac{\partial{\mathbf{r}}}{\partial{\theta}}|d\phi d\theta[/tex]

for part c:
using divergence theorem to find flux-
[tex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}=\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{x}}+\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{y}}+\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{z}}=3[/tex]
[tex]\iint \limits_{S}\mathbf{F}\cdot\mathbf{n}d\sigma=\iiint \limits_{D} \nabla\cdot\mathbf{F}dV[/tex]
[tex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2}3\rho^{2}\sin\phi}d\rho d\phi d\theta=...=32\pi[/tex]

and here's where I have the problem. The same flux from two different methods should not be different. Where in my work did I go wrong?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given just a portion of a sphere which is in the first octant. There is no volume enclosed by it so the divergence theorem is irrelevant. The sphere is cut off by the 3 coordinate planes.
 
I overlooked the part about being in first octant, but how would I apply Stoke's theorem to find flux of the field across a surface? I thought Stoke's theorem was flux of the curl of the field?

Reworking part a:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}d\theta\int_{0}^{2}\frac{4r}{\sqrt{4-r^{2}}}dr=4\pi[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I agree Stokes' theorem doesn't seem appropriate since your [itex]\vec F[/itex] is not the curl of a field. Your answer or [itex]4\pi[/itex] is correct.
 
Thanks for the verification. Is there another theorem I can use to finish the problem? Or should I just solve for circulation and give 0 as an answer?