Find force (N) of atmosphere on area

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Calhoun295
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Your eardrum has an area of about 53 mm2. Sounds become painful to your ear when the pressure variations that are involved in sound reach 200 Pa above and below normal air pressure. At this level, called the threshold of pain, how much force is exerted on your eardrum?

Homework Equations



Pressure=[tex]\frac{Force}{Area}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



F=PA
F= 101000N/m^2 (.053m^2)
F= 5353 N

I've tried normal atmosphere above and below 200Pa. The answer isn't correct according to wileyplus. I'm obviously doing it wrong, so what's wrong with my equation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Calhoun295! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Calhoun295 said:
F=PA
F= 101000N/m^2 (.053m^2)
F= 5353 N

I've tried normal atmosphere above and below 200Pa.

No, you'll have Patm on one side of your eardrum, and Patm ± 200 on the other side … net pressure = ±200. :wink:
 
Also note that [tex]53 mm^2= 53 \cdot ((10^{-3} m)^2) = 53\cdot 10^{-6} m^2[/tex]