1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atmospheric Pressure on Shaft of piston cylinder assembly

1. Sep 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a vertical piston cylinder assembly, a vertical shaft whose cross sectional area is 0.8 cm^2 is attached to the top of the piston. Determine the magnitude F, of the force acting on the shaft, in N, required if the gas pressure inside the cylinder is 3 bar. The masses of the piston and attached shaft are 24.5 and 0.5 kg respectively. The piston diameter is 10 cm. The local atmospheric pressure is 1 bar. The piston moves smoothly in the cylinder and g=9.8 m/s^2

2. Relevant equations
    P=F/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I converted the atmospheric pressure and gas pressure to forces. I summed all the forces acting on the cylinder. F= -Wshaft - Wpiston + Fgas -Fatm -F=0 Now my problem is, when I find the force caused by atmospheric pressure, do I subtract the area of the shaft from the area of the piston >> Fatm = Pressure (Area(piston)-Area(shaft)) ? How does atmospheric pressure not act on the top of the shaft, shouldn't Fatm = Pressure(Area(piston))?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there is no seal or other pressure controlling feature at the top of the shaft then atmospheric pressure acts on the shaft end in the normal way .

Area to be used for calculating atmospheric pressure force is effectively just the total area of the piston - the hatched area shown in diagram below .

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  4. Sep 2, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pressure area.jpg

5. Sep 2, 2016 #4
    You should be considering the equilibrium force balance on the combined piston and shaft, not the cylinder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted