Find gravitation on Mard and the Earth

  • Thread starter Thread starter DollarBill
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Earth Gravitation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
DollarBill
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Mars Data:
Radius = .53 * Earth's Radius
Mass = .11 * Earth's Mass

Find the acceleration due to gravity on Mars in terms of g, the acceleration due to gravity on Earth.


Homework Equations


g=Gm / r2


The Attempt at a Solution


gm= G(.11 ME) / .53rE2

gE = GmE / rE2
9.8 m/s2= GmE / rE2

gM/gE

gM=[G(.11 ME) / r2] / [GmE / rE2] * 9.8

gM= .11/.53 * 9.8

gM=2.034 m/s2

I'm not sure if this is right though.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DollarBill! :smile:
DollarBill said:
gm= G(.11 ME) / .53rE2.

Do you mean that, or have you written it wrong?
 


tiny-tim said:
Hi DollarBill! :smile:


Do you mean that, or have you written it wrong?
Forgot the parenthesis...
gM= G(.11 ME) / (.53 rE)2.
 


Ok now I see what I did. Forgot to square the .53 :blushing:

gM=3.8 m/s2