Find gravitational potential energy if at point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the gravitational potential energy of an object at point B, given its potential energy at point A and the distance between them. By substituting the given value for the potential energy at A and using the relation between the distances, the potential energy at B can be calculated using the equation Eg = -G*M*m / r.
jono240

Homework Statement

An object is moved from A to B in the gravitational field of earth. The distance between the center of Earth and B is twice that of A. If the gravitational potential energy of the object at A is -2MJ, what is the gravitational potential energy of the object at B?

Homework Equations

Eg = -G*M*m / r

The Attempt at a Solution

Im stumped for where I should start. I need to find the mass or radius of orbit of this object but I can't figure out how to do that with just the gravitational potential energy given. Please help with a hint on where to start. I don't want the question answered. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If rA is the distance from the center of the Earth to A, and rb the same for B, then you know

[itex]\frac{GMm}{r_A} = -2MJ[/itex]

[itex]\frac{GMm}{r_B} = ?[/itex]

Use the relation between the two lengths and the first formula to get the potential energy at B.

I know that rb is 2ra

so if I just substitute the 2ra in the first equation, do I get GMm/2ra = -2MJ/2

Im not sure if that's algebraically correct

That's correct, you basically substituted the value for the potential energy at A into the expression for it at B (with the additional half factor)

lol alright. I wasnt sure about the algebra there.
thanks a lot man!

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential for an object to do work by virtue of its position in the gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the ground or reference point.

3. How does the position affect the gravitational potential energy?

The higher an object is positioned in a gravitational field, the greater its gravitational potential energy will be. This is because the object has the potential to do more work as it falls to a lower position.

4. What is the unit of measurement for gravitational potential energy?

The unit of measurement for gravitational potential energy is Joules (J). It is a derived unit that represents energy, which is the ability to do work.

5. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This happens when the object is located at a position lower than the reference point or ground level. In this case, the potential energy is considered to be released or converted into other forms of energy as the object falls to the ground.