Find Inner Product for Quadratic Form in R^3

In summary: A^\frac{1}{2}} \mathbf x)^T(\mathbf {A^\frac{1}{2}} \mathbf x)$, which is the inner product corresponding to the quadratic form. In summary, to find the inner product corresponding to a given quadratic form, one needs to find the matrix $A^\frac{1}{2}$ and then express the quadratic form as $\langle x, x \rangle = (\mathbf A^\frac{1}{2} \mathbf x)^T(\mathbf A^\frac{1}{2} \mathbf x)$.
Denis99
Let \(\displaystyle <x, x>=3x_{1}^2+2x_{2}^2+x_{3}^2-4x_{1}x_{2}-2x_{1}x_{3}+2x_{2}x_{3} \) be a quadratic form in V=R, where \(\displaystyle x=x_{1}e_{1}+x_{2}e_{2}+x_{3}e_{3}\) (in the base \(\displaystyle {e_{1},e_{2},e_{3}}\).
Find the inner product corresponding to this quadratic form.

Is this that easy that you have to change '' second'' x-es for y (for example to write \(\displaystyle 2x_{2}y_{3}\) instead of \(\displaystyle 2x_{2}x_{3}\) at the end), or what I have to do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Denis99 said:
Let \(\displaystyle <x, x>=3x_{1}^2+2x_{2}^2+x_{3}^2-4x_{1}x_{2}-2x_{1}x_{3}+2x_{2}x_{3} \) be a quadratic form in V=R, where \(\displaystyle x=x_{1}e_{1}+x_{2}e_{2}+x_{3}e_{3}\) (in the base \(\displaystyle {e_{1},e_{2},e_{3}}\).

Is this that easy that you have to change '' second'' x-es for y (for example to write \(\displaystyle 2x_{2}y_{3}\) instead of \(\displaystyle 2x_{2}x_{3}\) at the end), or what I have to do?

what definition do you have to work with here? If it were me I'd iterate to the result-- start by encoding this with standard basis vectors, i.e.

$\langle x, x \rangle =3x_{1}^2+2x_{2}^2+x_{3}^2-4x_{1}x_{2}-2x_{1}x_{3}+2x_{2}x_{3} = \mathbf x^T A \mathbf x$

where $A$ is real symmetric positive definite. Then take the square root of $A$ and let that be your basis i.e. consider
$ A^\frac{1}{2} \mathbf x$
where the $kth$ column of $ A^\frac{1}{2} $ is denoted by $e_k$ in your text

steep said:
what definition do you have to work with here? If it were me I'd iterate to the result-- start by encoding this with standard basis vectors, i.e.

$\langle x, x \rangle =3x_{1}^2+2x_{2}^2+x_{3}^2-4x_{1}x_{2}-2x_{1}x_{3}+2x_{2}x_{3} = \mathbf x^T A \mathbf x$

where $A$ is real symmetric positive definite. Then take the square root of $A$ and let that be your basis i.e. consider
$ A^\frac{1}{2} \mathbf x$
where the $kth$ column of $ A^\frac{1}{2} $ is denoted by $e_k$ in your text

I have to work with definition like this one from definition of inner space in here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_product_space
(in part Definition)

Denis99 said:
I have to work with definition like this one from definition of inner space in here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_product_space
(in part Definition)

But I can't figure out how you could understand that and say this

Denis99 said:

The reality is that one way or another you need to find $A^\frac{1}{2}$

1. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a mathematical expression that involves variables raised to the second power, such as x^2 or y^2. It is commonly used to represent the relationship between variables in a system or equation.

2. How is the inner product related to a quadratic form?

The inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. For a quadratic form in R^3, the inner product is used to find the value of the quadratic form at a given point in space.

3. What is the formula for finding the inner product of a quadratic form in R^3?

The formula for finding the inner product of a quadratic form in R^3 is:
Q(x,y,z) = ax^2 + by^2 + cz^2 + dxy + exz + fyz
where a, b, c, d, e, and f are constants and x, y, and z are variables.

4. Can the inner product of a quadratic form be negative?

Yes, the inner product of a quadratic form can be negative. This means that the quadratic form is concave down and has a maximum value at the given point in space.

5. How is the inner product used in real-world applications?

The inner product is used in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to model and analyze systems and their relationships between variables. For example, in physics, the inner product can be used to calculate the potential energy of a system, while in economics, it can be used to determine the utility of a product or service.