Diagonalizing a Quadratic Form: x^{2} + 2y^{2} + z^{2} + 2xy + 4xz + 6yz

  • Thread starter Thread starter T-7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Form Quadratic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
T-7
Messages
62
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]x^{2} + 2y^{2} + z^{2} + 2xy + 4xz + 6yz[/tex]

Write down the symmetric matrix A for which the form is expressible as [tex]x^{t}Ax[/tex] where t denotes transpose. Diagonalise each of the forms and in each case find a real non-singular matrix P for which the matrix [tex]P^{t}AP[/tex] is diagonal with entries in {1,-1,0}.

The Attempt at a Solution



I first tried this by completing the square.

[tex] x^{2} + 2y^{2} + z^{2} + 2xy + 4xz + 6yz<br /> = (x + y + 2z)^{2} + y^{2} - 3z^{2} + 2yz<br /> = (x + y + 2z)^{2} + (y + z)^2 - 4z^2<br /> = x_{1}^{2} + x_{2}^{2} - x_{3}^{2}[/tex]

where

[tex] x_{1} = x + y + 2z,<br /> x_{2} = y + z,<br /> x_{3} = 2z,[/tex]

However, I just can't seem to find the eigenvalues for this form.

The symmetric matrix A for this quadratic form is

[tex] \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}<br /> 1 & 1 & 2 \\<br /> 1 & 2 & 3 \\<br /> 2 & 3 & 1 \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

and the characteristic polynomial is given by

[tex] \[ \chi(\lambda) = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}<br /> 1-\lambda & 1 & 2 \\<br /> 1 & 2-\lambda & 3\\<br /> 2 & 3 & 1-\lambda \end{array} \right|.\] [/tex]

I find this comes to

[tex]f(\lambda) = \lambda^{3} - 4(\lambda^2) + 9(\lambda) - 4[/tex]

which does not factorise -- so I can't get the eigenvalues, and can't form a matrix P. However, I have shown that a diagonal form is possible by completing the square. So surely I ought to be able to find three eigenvalues? Can someone point out where I've gone wrong?

Cheers!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've misplaced a couple of signs! The coefficient of [itex]\lambda[/itex] is +4+ 1- 4= 1. The correct equation is [itex]\lambda^3- 4\lambda^2- \lambda+ 4= 0[/itex] which obviously has [itex]\lambda- 1[/itex] as a factor.
 
HallsofIvy said:
You've misplaced a couple of signs! The coefficient of [itex]\lambda[/itex] is +4+ 1- 4= 1. The correct equation is [itex]\lambda^3- 4\lambda^2- \lambda+ 4= 0[/itex] which obviously has [itex]\lambda- 1[/itex] as a factor.

I am obviously brain-dead today. I'm still getting what I got before:

[tex] \[ \chi(\lambda) = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}<br /> 1-\lambda & 1 & 2 \\<br /> 1 & 2-\lambda & 3\\<br /> 2 & 3 & 1-\lambda \end{array} \right|\][/tex]

[tex]= (1-\lambda)((2-\lambda)(1-\lambda)-9)-(1-\lambda-6)+2(3-2(2-\lambda))[/tex]
[tex]= (1-\lambda)(2-3\lambda+\lambda^{2}-9)-(-\lambda-5)+2(2\lambda-1)[/tex]
[tex]=(1-\lambda)(\lambda^{2}-3\lambda-7)+\lambda+5+4\lambda-2[/tex]
[tex]=(1-\lambda)(\lambda^{2}-3\lambda-7)+5\lambda+3[/tex]
[tex]=\lambda^{2}-3\lambda-7-\lambda^{3}+3\lambda^{2}+7\lambda+5\lambda+3[/tex]
[tex]=-\lambda^{3}+4\lambda^{2}+9\lambda-4[/tex]
 
Well, that's not exactly what you had before but I messed up also.

The part about "diagonal with entries in {1,-1,0}" implies that the eigenvalues are 0, 1, and -1. But that can't possibly be correct.